HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Aging deer (Jaw bone pics) (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/275520-aging-deer-jaw-bone-pics.html)

bawanajim 11-26-2008 06:58 PM

RE: Aging deer (Jaw bone pics)

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I have no idea what you're talking about, Jim. You sound like a drunk, though.

Your inferences are pretty pathetic, though. I asked a fair question.

Have another!:D
Maybe your above post will bring light to your eyes. maybe not? :eek:

Back when I said my taxi (who's nationally recognized/decorated) had aged my two bucks via this method.....you seemingly scoffed at the practice and questioned its accuracy.

GMMAT 11-26-2008 07:06 PM

What's not fair about the question. Less than a year ago...Greg thought the method was a "guess" at best. I wondered what's changed his mind.

How much fairer can that be? I'd like to know the answer.....or I wouldn't have asked the question.

I see you didn't miss a chance to belittle, though. Happens, interestingly enough, about every time I post.;)

bawanajim 11-26-2008 07:15 PM

My god Jeff you have been aging deer by eye sight for your threeyear expert careerer.

The rest of us are just guessing.

GregH 11-26-2008 07:28 PM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Less than a year ago...Greg thought the method was a "guess" at best. I wondered what's changed his mind.

While these are my best guesstimates, I'm going to look into sending in the teeth for a X-section analysis.

This does not imply that we are 100% accurate

As I said before, it is a best guess based on our years of experience with the deer in this area

We feel that we are within a year of our guesstimates
Does this sound like I changed my mind!!??

GMMAT 11-26-2008 07:30 PM

Fair enough. But you do seem to be giving it a good amount of merit.....which I'm happy to see.

Thanks.

bawanajim 11-26-2008 07:37 PM

I guess between You and Greg you have enough notes on big mature bucks racks and jaw bonesthat a weekendofcomparing noteswould help us novices out.:)

MN/Kyle 11-26-2008 07:45 PM

Thanks for the informational first page...

Ifyou do get them aged by a biologist, I'd also like to know the outcome. I'm studying to be a biologist, I find this stuff pretty interesting.

I also hope Jawshooter replies to this thread, if it doesn't get locked, to share his insight.

IAhuntr 11-26-2008 07:59 PM

I was recently reading a test trial of the tooth wear method among like 5 or 6 nationally reputable deer biologist, they averaged only about 50% accuracy in guessing jaws of known-age deer that were submitted to them for aging. Granted they were mostly off by only a year one way or another, but considering an animal that rarely sees 5+ (I believe the stat is less than 2% of all free-ranging bucks live to 5 years old) plus or minus a year is a big deal to us hunters that want an accurate age of our harvests.

gri22ly 11-26-2008 08:04 PM

Anything beyound 5 1/2 is a guess without X-section analysis......With that said, I would say your guesstimate is pretty close, IMO.

Schultzy 11-26-2008 08:32 PM

I have a hard time believing anything I hear from biologist when it comes to aging animals. I know for a fact they can't age a bear to save there ass's! I've sent many teeth In to the University of Minnesota for the biologist to age and some of the results I get back are mind blowing and complete BS!! I think a biologist's biggest problem In aging anything Is not seeing the deer/animal that there aging In whole. Teeth don't always tell that animals story but what do I know I'm just another armchair biologist!!;)

Greg, It wouldn't surprise me if your damn close on what you think your buck ages. You know the deer In that area better then anyone else.