Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Noticed something about my boots! >

Noticed something about my boots!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Noticed something about my boots!

Old 11-25-2008, 08:00 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Noticed something about my boots!

Its ture the cow dung is a good cover sent. Im not saying go role in it but i hang my hunting stuff in the garage next to my dads farm clothes. I hunt around the farm so they are used to the sent. I belive it works.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:55 PM

2 of the 5 farms that I hunt have cattle on them. When walking to and from my stand, I step in every cow pie that I come across. Deer dont even hesitate when crossing my trail.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have them exact same boots, good boots they are. As for the cow ****, the dairy farmers that I pick up milk at have told me that for years that It works quite well for covering your scent. I always figured It wouldn't hurt, you helped prove that one.

I guess you are full of **** Greg!!![8D][8D]
Old 11-25-2008, 11:41 PM
Typical Buck

I"ve beenwalking through the pasture stepping in cow pies all year and haven't had a deer scent my trail and I've had several deer walk in my steps.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Surprises me you were even in that barn with your hunting cloths and boots on as scent consciences as you are.
I wearMuck boots to eliminate scent. Seems to work for me. They are Thinsulate and I wear them from Sept thru Jan.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:17 AM
Typical Buck

Could be wrong, but I don't ever remember Greg saying he is all that scent conscience. Not saying he's a scent slob, but nota scent freak like some. He is 100% wind conscience which probably contributes greatly to his success.

ORIGINAL: Rickmur

Surprises me you were even in that barn with your hunting cloths and boots on as scent consciences as you are.
I wearMuck boots to eliminate scent. Seems to work for me. They are Thinsulate and I wear them from Sept thru Jan.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:55 AM

So there I was, Nov 12th 1996, flying down the highway, smoking cigarettes and drinking coffee, windows down for scent control.

LOL, I dont think he is overly scent cautious.

I was just thinking, how weird some of your entrances must look from the road...what would yousay if you drive by a cattle pasture and see some guy was hop-skipping around from cow pie to cow pie....trying to step in as much **** as possible....LOL..has to look weird.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Alright...so who's going to be the first to roll in some cow pies...slip & slide style??!?!? Works for my boots...so it must work for the rest of me!
Old 11-26-2008, 07:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

see greg, my buddy has a small dairy farm as well...i stop there dang near every night when im home from college. usually that means right after hunting. he gives me or gets me the permission and hunts as well so he likes to talk and game plan with me...can get me on critters pretty well and hes never bowhunted or really stand hunted a day in his life..

but i wont wear an article of clothes or my rubber boots into the barn. farthest i will go is the milk house...thats where i change when we go coon hunting...

ive found you can wash the stuff from your clothes, but boots, its impossible. i had a pair of leather boots i wore to clean a ladies horse barn. not nearly as wet as the cow barn...but there was no getting that smell out/off of them boots.

yes, it may actually HELP and act as a cover scent...but, i still rather try to smell as much as NOTHING as possible. i think that when deer are under pressure and somewhat alert/on edge (like my deer often are) they are more prone to spook at anything foreign. i should "test" the theory and go a year with JUST barn scent...and compare it a year of being as scent free as possible....could save me alot of money and effort....could hang all my gear in one of the box stalls! no more getting dressed in the cold at 0400hrs...
Old 11-26-2008, 07:24 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: mauser06

see greg, my buddy has a small dairy farm as well...i stop there dang near every night when im home from college. usually that means right after hunting. he gives me or gets me the permission and hunts as well so he likes to talk and game plan with me...can get me on critters pretty well and hes never bowhunted or really stand hunted a day in his life..

but i wont wear an article of clothes or my rubber boots into the barn. farthest i will go is the milk house...thats where i change when we go coon hunting...

ive found you can wash the stuff from your clothes, but boots, its impossible. i had a pair of leather boots i wore to clean a ladies horse barn. not nearly as wet as the cow barn...but there was no getting that smell out/off of them boots.

yes, it may actually HELP and act as a cover scent...but, i still rather try to smell as much as NOTHING as possible. i think that when deer are under pressure and somewhat alert/on edge (like my deer often are) they are more prone to spook at anything foreign. i should "test" the theory and go a year with JUST barn scent...and compare it a year of being as scent free as possible....could save me alot of money and effort....could hang all my gear in one of the box stalls! no more getting dressed in the cold at 0400hrs...
Mauser,
I've found that the "farm" scent is way less alarming to the deer than that "rubber" smell.

Quick Reply: Noticed something about my boots!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.