Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 They are not behind every tree >

They are not behind every tree

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

They are not behind every tree

Old 11-25-2008, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: They are not behind every tree

Dude sounds like a typical yahoo out-of-stater. No worries kickin.

To put things into perspective.. to take a older whitetail requires ALOT of work. So much in fact.. that most hunters will never do the work it takes. But they'll whine all day long about their own misfortune.

I spend about 150 hours looking for sheds each spring. Another 150 looking for new land.. and trees to hang a stand from for the following season. Not to mention the other 100+ hours I spend glassing.. driving.. etc. all in the name of whitetail. And this is all before the season even begins.

I probably scouted 4 hours for every 1 hour I put into stand this year.

Bottom line.. if you want bigger.. older whitetail.. prepare to work. And to keep working well into the season.

What a yahoo. I love peoples out look on this state of Illinois.

Old 11-25-2008, 02:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm guessing you won't be helping him again.

I would say if you put yourself in the right spot you should have a reasonable expectation to see some good deer if you hunt all day for a week or more during the rut. That goes for just about any state. It sounds to me like this guy had a pretty good trip though. 11 bucks? I know some guys that will go 5 years without seeing that many bucks.

I think someone watched too much Outdoor Channel.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I will definately second that thought. I have put in a ton of time scouting last winter trying to figure out the travel paterns on my new property.

And I should have kept a better record of my time on stand this year, but I forgot to write in too many sits to remember them all. Lets just say, I have a ton of hours on stand and I have a 125 inch ten point to show for it so far. They are out there, but not behind every tree and they don't just walk in front of you on every sit. It takes a lot of work or luck.