Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 As if it's not hard enough!!! >

As if it's not hard enough!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

As if it's not hard enough!!!

Old 11-25-2008, 09:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: As if it's not hard enough!!!

I wish I could say I haven't been there.........but I have and it SUCKS.

Just an example of that same mentality here this season:

My neighbor buddy who I helped get started bowhunting a couple years ago has been trying hard this season for a really nice 8pt he's seen a couple times on a small farm we have permission to hunt.
His ground blind is on the bank of a creek brushed in real nice overlooking the main crossing off the bedding area on the other side.
He was hunting the blind when he sees the buck coming down the trail on the opposite side of the creek and it starts to cross the creek which will bring it within 10 yards of his blind........the shot he's been waiting 3 years for!
The buck's feet hit the water and 2 quick rifle shots ring out and the buck flips over dead in the water 30 yards from him!![:-]

It wasour famous "Junior Senior Centerfire Rifle" season that all of us archer so dearly love that they threw in the middle of the archery season.
Well the 70+yr old guy was trespassing for one, and on top of that it is not even legal for Juniors and Seniors to shoot antlered deer during this season.[:@]
He confronted the guy and his defense was the typical PA hunter ignorance........"I didn't see any posted signs" (which is the standard excuse here) and "I didn't realize you could only shoot does" (which means he didn't realize anyone was watching)

Of course I wasn't too happy with him not turning the guy in especially when he had to look at that 20" wide 8pt lying there that he worked so hard hunting for the entire season.

Sorry your hunt of the season was ruined in a similar way..........just think how bad it would have been had they wounded or killed that buck!?[:-]
Old 11-25-2008, 10:16 AM
Dominant Buck

Were they supposed to be there?

Sucks.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Jeff I would say no

This is private property that nobody has permission to be on but me and another guy [:@].
Old 11-25-2008, 10:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Man, that would drive anybody over the top. Tresspassers suck.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sucks!
Old 11-25-2008, 11:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: NY Bowhunter

Ok so I'm going to vent for a little bit... sorry. I get to my stand this morning an hour early in the pouring rain. I figured I could stand the 33 degree rain for an hour or so then the front is supposed to pass. Should be pretty good conditions for some deer movement.

My stand is sitting in a nice little funnelleading to a bedding area with a half cut corn field behind me. Around 7:15 the rain has all but stopped. 7:45I glass the field behind me and see a big wide tall 10 pointer making his way down the hedgerow in the cornfield heading right for the honey hole. He's still a little ways away but heading right for me. I'm already up so I grab my bow and get in position where I know he's coming. The wind is absolutely perfect and it's one of those deals where you KNOW it's going down.

He works his way all the way in to about 75 yards and still coming on a string. The heart starts going, the release is on, and I'm eyeballing a couple different quartering away shooting lane options ahead of time.

Next thing I see cresting the hill in the cornfield is 1...2...3...4...5...6 orange blobs!! To the right and behind me I see 4 more! Needless to say a flury like you've never heard of gunshots erupted at this buck. I don't know how many exactly. I lost count at about 20 [:@][:'(]. The group of 6 must have been at least 150 yards away with slug guns and I'm still not sure how they didn't kill the other 4 guys.

The buck goes tearing out of there like a bat out of hell and runs right by my stand going about mach 10. The orange army starts walking over to where they shot at the buck, see my orange hat and run the other way. This is private property that nobody has permission to be on but me and another guy [:@].

I scream to them to no avail. They were out of there as fast as the buck was. I got down to look for blood which I knew I wasn't going to find, but thought I should look anyway. No blood, no hair, no nothing excepta buck fleeing for it's life never to be seen again. I walked out, got in my truck and drove around looking for them. I had an idea where they entered from but couldn't find any vehicles or orange army anyplace. I'm so freaking livid I could puke. 3 zillion hours on stand this year for that moment and this is how it goes down???? WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hate gun season. No offense to gun hunters that do it the right way, but I really hate gun season.
I gotta give you credit for being out there bowhunting during gun season in NY. I stay sidelined till late season opens.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's crap like this that got me to start staying out of the woods during WV's month long gun shoot feat.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

I hear ya NY and am in agreement with you on gun seasons but it is what it is, no changing that. Both your's and Matt's stories are disturbing, very disturbing in fact.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

WOW, whata bummer! I can only imagine how you feel as I staged with the orange army myself this year but had opposite results. Hey, at least you didn't get nailed in the crossfire.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:47 PM
Typical Buck

Bad thing is, they were probably there in archery season too. You just couldnt hear them shoot.

Quick Reply: As if it's not hard enough!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.