Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 2003 Side-by-Side bow ratings are out >

2003 Side-by-Side bow ratings are out

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

2003 Side-by-Side bow ratings are out

Old 04-02-2003, 06:35 AM

Default 2003 Side-by-Side bow ratings are out

Click the " Sort By" button of column to see ratings according to your preference.

Read how the " Forgiveness" rating evaluates each bow.

http://www.huntersfriend.com/bowspecs7.htm

Old 04-02-2003, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: 2003 Side-by-Side bow ratings are out

Although listing all these bows and their configurations, prices are good information, I fail to see any scientific evidence of their forgiveness ratings! How did this site arrive at that? By personal preference?

Forgiveness is in the feel of each individiual shooter. For example I take exception to many of the forgiveness ratings on some of the bows. What one rates as a 100 may rate much lower with another individual. But the information listed as far as mass weight, draw weights and lengths available, let off available, what cam design is available in each model.etc., is invaluable when comparing what models have available.
Old 04-02-2003, 07:24 AM

Cougar:

You said:

Forgiveness is in the feel of each individual shooter
I say:

" Forgiveness" of a bow is not how it feels. A bow can feel good and shoot lousy, especially in the hands of a novice or moderately skilled shooter. When I have an opinion about a bow and gear, I base my opinion on how suitable, shootable, and reliable the bow and gear will be for hunting conditions, not for shooting targets.

http://www.timberline-archery.com/choose_a_bow.asp

The raters said:

FORGIVENESS RATING: The forgiveness ratings listed on our comparison charts are NOT part of the manufacturer' s specs. This is an Ease-of-Shooting index that we have created, based upon the bow' s listed specs, in an attempt to help buyers predict how subdued or unruly a particular bow design might be to shoot.

Our forgiveness rating is NOT a subjective score. But rather we have written a simple formula based on the following premises:

1) Bows with larger brace heights will generally be more forgiving (to flaws in shooting technique) than bows with shorter brace heights. 2) Bows with longer axle-to-axle lengths will be more stable and have greater shootability than bows with short axle-lengths. 3) Bows with mild to moderate cams will be more forgiving, as the shooter generally benefits from a more generous valley and smoother drawstroke.

Old 04-02-2003, 07:54 AM

It' s been out a while. And I' d have to agree with Cougar Mag about the forgiveness rating. I think it is helpful but I wouldn' t base a descision on that chart!
Old 04-02-2003, 08:14 AM

Just curious!

If a person cannot shoot 100 properly matched arrows out of every bow made, and do so under conditions that simulate adverse field conditions, what factor(s) and information should a person base his or her decision on when selecting a bow and gear?

Keep in mind; a bow and setup that works for one person, does not guarantee the same will work for another person.
Old 04-02-2003, 08:27 AM

Wow! They chopped a full inch off my Duallys brace height and now my dually is a one cam?[X(] 29 i/2 inch axle to axle???????

I' m glad they told be the forgiveness factor is only 63 too (no wonder), I never would have known[>:].

That is it! I' m selling this bow. Let me guess, Hunter' s Friend doesn' t sell Bowtech and they don' t have anyone double check thier facts either.[:-]

Ha! What a joke!

-Chief

Old 04-02-2003, 08:31 AM

I clicked around some and that chart is just screwy. If I sort by a different parameter, all the stats change.

-Chief

Old 04-02-2003, 09:00 AM

Some shooter-readers make me chuckle out of one side of my mouth.

A few shooters say that their bow and setup is the best they have ever shot with, and many will run to buy the same.

Some shooters are reporting chronoed speeds on their bow that are equal to or greater than the IBO that the manufacturer claims, and some will run to buy that bow.

Someone says a certain sight is the best sight going, and a bunch will run out and buy the sight.

Some say a certain piece of gear is invaluable for form and accuracy, and a bunch will run out and buy the gear.

Someone says he or she twisted, bent, and jerked on a piece of gear and it broke. Many will dump the same piece of gear or not buy it.

Someone fires broadheads designed to penetrate lubricated flesh and muscle, into hard-rubber tires with nylon and wire reinforcement, plywood with layers of glue, steel drums, and many shooter will use such testing to buy or discard a particular broadhead.

Chuckle-chuckle!
Old 04-02-2003, 09:43 AM

c903, If you like the chart fine. I like it too ! I' m just saying that they make a rating based on a formula across the board from manufacters' given spec' s. Do you think that' s 100% accurate ? I think it' s a great place to start !
Old 04-02-2003, 11:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

I must commend Hunter' s Friend for putting together a " side by side" chart of most of the bows currently available to the consumer. I think this helps greatly in making " on paper" comparisons so that each individual has a good place to begin their search.

As for their " forgiveness rating" ........I think it is a worthwhile idea though I question their technique to some extent. The explanation that C903 posted is a good start but I do not see anything specifically about the formula. Is it a 1-10 scale with 10 being the most forgiving for any given characteristic....and there are 10 characteristics that they judge? That would make some sense. A bow might get a 5 in the brace height category if it has a 7 inch brace height and a 10 in the axle to axle length category if it has an axle to axle length over 42 inches. I would guess that is how they arrive at that number?

Edited: After reviewing the website I found the paragraph where they describe..in detail...the formula that they use to determine forgiveness....
Forgiveness= (1.5a + 7.8b) - (s/10) where a=Axle Length, b=Brace Height, and s=IBO Speed
Also, I had to really smile when I read the last paragraph on that page.

Quick Reply: 2003 Side-by-Side bow ratings are out

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.