Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Pretty tough buck... PICs added >

Pretty tough buck... PICs added

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Pretty tough buck... PICs added

Old 11-22-2008, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Pretty tough buck... PICs added

Today I went bowhunting with the gunhunters. (gun opener) At 7am a medium/bigbuck (180 live, 140 dressed) with a small 50" 5pt rack comes in. I decided that since I'm pretty much just out there to enjoy myself, mainly hunting for meat, and top it off on high pressure public land that I would go ahead and take him. I was at full draw for over a min twice before I let it go. This guy was pretty tough let me tell ya. I later learned upon dressing that I hit one lung and some heart strings. Yet...

He tore through the woods at57 kajillion mph and crashed real loud(sounded just like a car crash) at 60yds. I thought that was the end because he was thrashing about on the ground for5seconds. Then... he gets up and jogs away... only to crash again in maybe another20yds. I thought again that that was the end. But, yep you guessed it, he got up and slowly walked off. I only heard about 6 or 7 slow steps then it was too distant and faint.

In the end when I found him he went a total of 90yds with blood every friggin where. What amazed me most is that he got up twice after crashing and thrashing about like he was doing the dance of death. I'm tired as all heck cusIdragged 2 bucks (see upcoming thread)a total of 1500yds almost all by myselfso I don'thave pix but I promise them tomorrow. I just wanted to share how tough this guy was with you guys for the time being.

EDIT:

As promised: Nothing spectacular,but it is a buck that I'll not soon forget due to his undying spirit. Actually, know what, I take that back because I'd been advised with the rest of hni to never talk your accomplishments down. It is a few years of studying the land that has allowed me to be in the right spot to intercept these deer when the guns start going off. And I'm out there with my peep sight trying to hang with the scopes. I'm not sure what set me off on this lil tangent but I don't care, I'm damn proud of this guy and the guy next to him that I shot that same morning.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Pretty tough buck

How many bucks are you allowed to get there in Wisconsin?

seems to me that he just wouldn't give in for nothing.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

In the designated CWD (chronic wasting disease) zones, you get as many as the number of does you can shoot. (earn a buck system)
Old 11-23-2008, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

pix added
Old 11-23-2008, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats..i wish the system here in DE was like that CDW one you mentioned..Thats nice..

BH818
Old 11-24-2008, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yea, WIDNR has been trying to get rid of this supposed CWD problem for over a decade now and have attempted many things. This is one of them. If you shoot 89 does you get to shoot 89 bucks.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:20 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats. Memorable hunt.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BOWHUNTER818

Congrats..i wish the system here in DE was like that CDW one you mentioned..Thats nice..

BH818
No you don't.....It's a problem, not a good thing!!!

Hoyt,
Congrats, at least you didn't smack on in the head like I did...