Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Texas Bowhunters.. beware... >

Texas Bowhunters.. beware...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Texas Bowhunters.. beware...

Old 11-25-2008, 10:05 AM
New Sheriff

Default RE: Texas Bowhunters.. beware...

If you truely love the sport, you should want more kids involved.............at any cost.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:17 AM
Spike

My private land is land that my family owns and that I only let 3 other guys hunt on. It's 460 acres.This proposition would be detrimental to the Texas deer herd more specifically the west and central Texas deer. I can't make the deer that I watch all summer stay on my property. That is why I bow hunt every weekend in October to get the advantage to the average Texas rifle hunter. I have been managing my property very hard for the last four years and opening up archery only season to youths would put a huge hit in my efforts. Every 1 yr old deer that stepped out would be shot. For the first time in my life, I have a P&Y deer on my property and a few prospects for next year. The reason is because I don't shoot anything under 4 yr old. With youths being able to hunt in October all around me, more young deer would be taken and the deer would be scared the whole season. I am all for taking kids hunting. I can't wait to have a son of my own to pass on my most sacred passion to. But, making an entire month of youth only season will do more harm than good. Take the kids hunting in the regular deer season. Don't encroach on the much needed archery only season.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mr4pt

If you truely love the sport, you should want more kids involved.............at any cost.
4pt, I love the sport. I want kids to get involved. They have over two months to get involved without archery season. You really think they need more time?

Another reason NOT to open archery season for youth rifle:

I know the reason I originally picked up a bow was so that I could hunt more. Now I bow hunt almost exclusively. But I know if I would have been able to rifle hunt the ENTIRE season, I would have never picked up a bow and found my true passion. JMO
Old 11-25-2008, 10:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Simp

Well, by "private land" I was thinking more along the lines of land that you, and maybe 2 or 3 other guys hunt, not a hunting club. I guess this is more of a reason to secure some land that may not get hunted by many people during the season.
Easier said than done. The price of leases is through the roof in Texas. I can't afford to buy land or lease a reasonable chunk on my own.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mr4pt

I disagree. At any cost? No.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

How about public land? As big as Texas is you must have an abundance of public land, right?
Old 11-25-2008, 10:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

How about public land? As big as Texas is you must have an abundance of public land, right?
Nope, less than 3% of Texas is public land. Of that 3%, less than 1% is open to hunting. Whats 1% of 3%? Not very much at all! I think I'd be better off hunting out of state public land as a NR.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: txjourneyman

Nope, less than 3% of Texas is public land. Of that 3%, less than 1% is open to hunting. Whats 1% of 3%? Not very much at all! I think I'd be better off hunting out of state public land as a NR.
I know of two public land places within 100 miles that I can deer hunt on.It'sType 2 land which means another $60 permit. There isn't a whole lot of land either (maybe 500 acres), but there are a lot of hunters
Old 11-25-2008, 11:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

It just makes me wonder if this gets passed how many 3,4,5 and 6 yr olds are gonna be out in the woodswith a 7mm mag with daddy doing the shooting for them.

As far as public land goes you already have every man and his dog hunting those during gun season, it's like WW3 no way are you going to get me out on public land with the gun nutswith "if it moves shoot it" attitude.

To buy land here you have to be atleast a millionare with land prices well over $1500 an acre, I have been looking for land for the last few years and what I can afford is not worth hunting.

Old 11-25-2008, 01:55 PM
Dominant Buck

I can see both sides of the coin. But what is the advantage of a man with a rifle, over a kid with a rifle????

Quick Reply: Texas Bowhunters.. beware...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.