Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bruiser Down (w/ pics) >

Bruiser Down (w/ pics)

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bruiser Down (w/ pics)

Old 11-18-2008, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bruiser Down (w/ pics)

I got this bruiser last week (pics below). Movement had been great the day before so I was excited to get out to my stand the next morning. Just my luck, I go outside and my truck won’t start (would later find out that the fuel pump had went out). Hunting away from home, my only choice was to call the one contact I had in the area, the landowner. Needless to say I made it to my stand a little later than I normally would, but was just happy to be able to make it out.

Right from the get go, I knew the day could be special. I had two separate does that bucks were dogging around my stand. I figured if I could tough out the cold temps, mist and sleet, my chances of getting a shot at a shooter would be good. The deer movement was great in the morning with several smaller bucks and does coming within easy bow range.

Late morning and early afternoon were slower than the previous day, but then all of a sudden it was like someone flipped a switch. There were deer coming from each direction. One from the east, stopped and checked a scrape. One of the west, also stopping to check the scrape. The bucks were certainly on their feet. About 30 minutes later, out of the corner of my eye I notice movement coming in from the east. The buck was about 50 yards out but closing fast. I grabbed my bow, stood up and waited patiently, wondering if this was going to be the one.

You know as archery hunters, often times we have only a few seconds to judge a deer as a shooter, which is no easy task. It was time to try and size him up – and fast! His mainbeans caught my attention along with his height and sheer body size. Just as he passed my stand he took a half step to the right, giving me a perfect quartering away shot. As if on auto-pilot, I drew, anchored, picked my spot and released. I saw the arrow hit home and knew that the deer would soon be mine. He took off, but almost immediately you could tell was having problems. He didn’t make it 60 yards before piling into of course, one of the deepest ravines in the area.

Later I also found out that one of my stands and set of climbing sticks had been stolen. But I tell you what, taking a great deer like this, helped to lessen the sting….

Old 11-18-2008, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bruiser Down (w/ pics)

Jason I know I said it since you called me and told me about it. That is a great buck. Congrat's. BTW didn't you tell me you missed one earlier.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Wow, South Dakota is putting out some huge bucks this fall. Congrats, he is another beauty to add to that list.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

What an outstanding specimen!!! WOW!

Congratulations!

You Dark Horses are going to have to officially change your names....You are not Dark Horses any more...Should be called the "Favorites"!
Old 11-18-2008, 02:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Whoa!!! Very nice!
Old 11-18-2008, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Once again, atta boy!!!

And whats this, you missed one too?!?!?!
Old 11-18-2008, 02:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats man!
Old 11-18-2008, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 130woodman

Jason I know I said it since you called me and told me about it. That is a great buck. Congrat's. BTW didn't you tell me you missed one earlier.
The deer was actually taken in IA....

I'm surprised you could even understand me, I was so darn cold or was I excited and shaking, heck I don't remember

Yes, I did have a shot at a nice 4x earlier in the day. Between me mis-judging a few yards and him jumping my string, I sent an arrow right over his back. Probably just as good though, this one ended up being a bit bigger I think....
Old 11-18-2008, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SouthDakotaHunter

ORIGINAL: 130woodman

The deer was actually taken in IA....

I'm surprised you could even understand me, I was so darn cold or was I excited and shaking, heck I don't remember

Yes, I did have a shot at a nice 4x earlier in the day. Between me mis-judging a few yards and him jumping my string, I sent an arrow right over his back. Probably just as good though, this one ended up being a bit bigger I think....
Funny how those little details of the day get left out!
Old 11-18-2008, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

wow, nice buck

Quick Reply: Bruiser Down (w/ pics)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.