Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I've got a long sleepless night ahead of me now....(kind of long story) >

I've got a long sleepless night ahead of me now....(kind of long story)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I've got a long sleepless night ahead of me now....(kind of long story)

Old 11-18-2008, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I've got a long sleepless night ahead of me now....(kind of long story)

BRING THE CAMERA!!!! I WANT TO SEE PICS...hes not looking for him hes already draging him up...

BH818
Old 11-18-2008, 06:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I've got a long sleepless night ahead of me now....(kind of long story)

Although I have never heard a double lunger snort or blow, I have found blood (mist of blood) that I would assume came out their mouths by either caughing or snorting (probably choking on it).

Wishing you the best on your recovery.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck Scott, I know you will find him piled up in short order this morning. But he is gonna be mighty stiff with the temps being in the 20's.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well here is the update----and it is not the one I was expecting when I woke up this morning

Got to the farm at 6 and waited for my dad. We were at the field where I hit the buck at first light. I then led him to where he ran in the woods, and we started finding some small drops of blood. Then we came to where I'm guessing he stood and snorted and there was a VERY large pool of blood. probably a foot by foot square of nothing but red. After this the blood trail was very good. Several times while following it both me and my dad were asking one another where the buck was going to be laying. We kept finding large pools of blood every so often, and every time the deer's front legs would hit the ground he would lose blood.

We followed this type of trail for about 100 yards and then it went from a couple really good drops to NOTHING. We were left scratching our heads. We began to take seperate trails and look up and down hollows. After a little over a hour of this we had no more blood and no more deer. We then started looking by fences and ditch crossings hoping the hole would open up if he crossed....nothing there either. As I was going to meet back up with him I saw some rustled leaves. I checked them out and there was yet again more good blood. There were about 4 really good spots and then a smaller trail where he had went while going up hill. That's where we lost it.

I had to come home, but my dad is still out there. I will be meeting back up with him around 3. Still no sign of the other half of the arrow, and it appears that there is no exit wound. The blood is very bright, not like the dark muscle type blood I have commonly found with low leg hits. I'm trying to stay optomistic but in all honesty I am completly crushed right now. To first of all to blow a "chip" shot at 10-15 yards and then go from feeling confident of finding him in the morning to having that thought blown out of my head as I was walking back to the truck.

I still have the rest of tonight and then ALL day tomorrow to look. I'm not giving up on this thing. I am literally sick to my stomach right now.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Keep your head up....it happens but you should have ANTLERS IN HAND tonight a deer losing that much blood in what 20-30 degree weather is dieing or already dead...remember deer like to run down hill..

Best of luck to you SCOTT

BH818
Old 11-18-2008, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Also, let me note.

The deer has ran onto the neighbors property. I have permission to be here searching, but with shotgun season rolling in Friday, I will no longer be able to look over there since their place gets pretty crowded.

The area this deer ran into is thicker than thick. I was on my hands and knees crawling through brush much of the morning.

I'll try to have a more positive update tonight when I get back home.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

You should have a posotive outlook, no blood eqauls dead deer..that deer has bleed out alot from the sounds of it...Stay posotive..and expect the un-expected always.

Best of luck to you and your dad on finding that deer

BH818
Old 11-18-2008, 09:43 AM
Fork Horn

Good luck man. Sounds like this deer is dead. Hope you find him!
Old 11-18-2008, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ANY UPDATES??

BH818
Old 11-18-2008, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

He's going out tonight with coon hunting lights to look for sign,and checking into getting a deer tracking dog on the trail.

A friend of mine knows 2 guys in the area that have tracking dogs. He is talking to them tonight about using the dogs.

Quick Reply: I've got a long sleepless night ahead of me now....(kind of long story)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.