Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ohio Rut?

Old 11-16-2008, 06:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Ohio Rut?

as other has wrote... ive seen a TON of small bucks chasing but other then that nothing

not even very many does..

the rut is slow in Southeastern Ohio as well
Old 11-16-2008, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

as in southwest ohio
Old 11-16-2008, 08:05 PM
Typical Buck

Me and a couple buddies scouted an area near Steubenville,and found some really good buck sign, and also saw a good 10pt. doggin a doe hard. Hopefully it'll get hotter by the time I get to hunt on wednesday.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Mikey S.

Me and a couple buddies scouted an area near Steubenville,and found some really good buck sign, and also saw a good 10pt. doggin a doe hard. Hopefully it'll get hotter by the time I get to hunt on wednesday.
i think the post rut is kickin in now not sure but seems to be slowing down A LOT
Old 11-17-2008, 10:14 PM
byg
Spike

The only bucks I have seen(last few days ) have come in withthere noses to the ground,and I have only seen 1 doe all year..I am still waiting for all this rut action LOL...............
Old 11-17-2008, 10:29 PM
Typical Buck

Hunted this weekend and saw three small bucks, allfeeding, they wouldnt even look in the direction of my grunts. But i did see by far the biggest buck i have ever seen on the hoof, too bad i was driving to my spot. Either a 10 or 12 with matching droptines, it was unbelievable.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

or the rut hasnt kicked in full swing. hunting bad around my parts[:@][&:][][:-][&o]
Old 11-18-2008, 06:07 AM
Dominant Buck

Perhaps some of you are looking for more from the rut than there generally is. Just because it's time for the rut doesn't mean all the smart old bucks go completely stupid. The wisest of the wisest will herd up his does and push them into his lair or some thick nasty spot and sit on them. In all my years of hunting I can honestly say I've only seen one day where the world went stupid with deer activity, and that was in an area with anything but a balanced herd. It was one magical day that went on for hours. I couldn't get out of the stand from all the deer activity going on. The wise old bucks MAY and will do some things he normally wouldn't which may make him more huntable. Just because it's the rut doesn't mean it'll happen. To me, the prerut is great. Bucks will troll looking and may even leave their home range in search of a horny girl. Smart old bucks don't go stupid, they just sometimes let their guard down and stay out of the nasty stuff a little longer and we catch them. After the does are bred he may go back to his trolling again if he's not too warn out. Don't be looking for that magical day just because it's suppose to be the rut. You still have to do your home work and hunt smart. Some of you say you're not even seeing does. Where do you suppose the big boy has them hidden away and is guarding them. I was in Ohio from Nov 5th-9th. We thought the rut was fixing to go full tilt. We saw large bucks trolling in the fields almost everyday at high noon. We saw a coupld bruisers worrying the crap out of what appeared to be the only doe around on 2 occasions, again at midday after we got out of the woods. I say you got lots of courting going on SOMEWHERE if you're seeing no does but little bucks chasing. Screw the moon, it's the time of month and amount of daylight.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Im not seeing much action here in Medina county. Ive seen some little guys wondering around but not really with there noses down or anything. Big boys havnt showed yet.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

man im just mad. 2 weeks ago and a week ago i saw deer every hunt almost. now this past weekand i saw nothing[:@]