Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Your chance to vote on my ineptness >

Your chance to vote on my ineptness

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Your chance to vote on my ineptness

Old 11-16-2008, 11:26 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Your chance to vote on my ineptness

The more I read stuff like that Gri22....the more I start to doubt if I'll take a "lesser" buck than what I'm after. I've thought about it....believe me.

Before I go and sound like I'm holding out for a monster....let me say again....I've seen exactly 3 deer in my time hunting that would go 100"+. Three.

If I get a shot at a 2.5+ that will go 80 or more.....I'm taking it. I may shoot an even lesser scoring 6 if I get the chance. I'll know when I get my bow drawn.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

The more I read stuff like that Gri22....the more I start to doubt if I'll take a "lesser" buck than what I'm after. I've thought about it....believe me.

Before I go and sound like I'm holding out for a monster....let me say again....I've seen exactly 3 deer in my time hunting that would go 100"+. Three.

If I get a shot at a 2.5+ that will go 80 or more.....I'm taking it. I may shoot an even lesser scoring 6 if I get the chance. I'll know when I get my bow drawn.
That post was not to indorse holding out for the biggest buck in your woods. But to be happy with what ever you choose to do. Some of the most successful hunts and seasonsdo not end with BBD.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:24 PM

Well Jeff I think there is still time for you to do it, you will do it Im sure...I know for me, I want to kill a big buck, plain and simple...my season will not be unsuccessful if I don't, but a disappointment for sure, I have tasted what it's like 4 times in my life to kill a "trophy" deer or mountable buck, bow/gun either way,and I want itthis year too...I want it every year, that will never change, but if I don't, and the season ended now, I have killed 4 and passed on 6-8 bucks, so Im good..
Old 11-16-2008, 03:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: NY Bowhunter

I can relate. It's a battle within yourself. I've let more 1.5 and 2.5 year old bucks walk this year than the last 5 years combined. There is some solace in the fact that you've already "hunted" those particular animals.... they just don't know it .

I don't know how many hours (a lot) or sits (a lot) because I don't really keep track. All I know is I've been out every morning and afternoon (sometimes all day sits) since opening day. I've been out in 40mph winds, rain, snow, cold, hot, etc... and haven't scored on a buck that meets the standards I set.

I'll be honest I've had my pity party moments [8D]and wonder why not sometimes. It's certainly not from lack of effort or dedication. But in the end I realize I've taken my hunting to a different stage in my life. Ultimately I'm ok with not taking a buck that I'm after if that's how its' going to play out. I've become better at what I do everyday I leave the woods.

What really will chap your butt though is all the hours and days on stand holding out for what you're looking for to come crashing down on you in an instant. I've blown 2 chances (because I'm an idiot) on the same buck I've been hunting and wanted to take. That's like pouring salt in the wound[8D] Man you gotta love this stuff.

Good post, I am working towards that stage, thought I was there, but not yet. I will get there

Jeff I think you're going to be eating tag soup Just kidding, I have faith