Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 do you think it is my form? >

do you think it is my form?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

do you think it is my form?

Old 03-31-2003, 09:29 AM

Default do you think it is my form?

i shoot a hoyt magnatec and love it. i have just started shootin beman ics 400' s and i am very pleased with' em. i am shooting around 250-255 fps so not bad. my problem starts when i get to useing my 30 and 40 yard pins. at 10,20,25 i am right there as far as accuracy (infact i am spliting arrows), however, when i step back to thirty yards my arrows start to hit and pattern a bit sporadic. sometimes i will be right on target but then the next will be to the right 6 or 7 inches, and will be high or low several inches. when i go back to 40 yards all my arrows track to the right 6-7 inches and vary in their high or low patterns. up to 25 i am very consistent-- out to thiry it is so-so ---- and at forty i am just off, but i do not think that i am changing anything as far as my form goes. what could be making this difference??
Old 03-31-2003, 10:22 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: do you think it is my form?

First I might suggest paper tuning your bow.
Then look into a no-peep; that will tell all with respect to your form.
Good luck.
Old 03-31-2003, 04:29 PM

thanks for the suggestion but i had it paper tuned at the bow shop this past weekend.
Old 03-31-2003, 05:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Could be any number of things Click , I hate to just blindly speculate........

You are probably using a trigger release? At 10-20 yards most average to above average shooters can get away with " Punching" or squeezing the trigger with their index finger and still get reasonable accuracy. By reasonable I mean you' ll get 2-3 arrows real close together, maybe whack one every group or so, with the rest close enough to look like a decent overall group.
When that style of shooting gets translated into longer ranges, usually the wheels fall off and that sounds like what is happening to you.

If you ARE using a trigger release, you will need to move the act of triggering the release from your mind/finger to your back muscles and a surprise release.........You will never ( I guess I shouldn' t say NEVER, but it is highly unlikely) become truly accurate at ANY range, especially the longer 30-50 yard ranges if you just PULL the trigger when the pin hits your target.

Try letting the pin " float" around the center of the target and concentrate completely on the mechanics of the shot.........relax your release hand , with your index finger draped over the trigger, apply pressure against the trigger, and finish off the shot by pulling thru with your back muscles (try to picture squeezing your shoulder blades together). The shot should surprise you........if its not you are not doing it right. If you' ve never shot this way before the shot going off might actually STARTLE you! That is good! You' ll get used to it. And you' ll be even more startled when you see the arrow sitting in the " X" ring when you could have just sworn by your reaction that the arrow might be on its way to Canada![]

DOn' t break into this new style of shooting at 30-50 yards, get close where there is " Room for Error" .........If you are doing it correctly very quickly you should see why this method of shooting an index trigger is far superior to just mashing the trigger (or even squeezing it slowly).
Old 03-31-2003, 05:47 PM

My buddy and I were just talking about the same thing. He had the same situation and corrected it by sighting his bow in at 40 yds. If your pin is off, even the slightest amount you may not notice it at shorter distances. When you get out to 30 and 40 that little bit is now noticeable even more so. The other thing is, are you shooting indoors or outdoors? As you know, wind will play a large roll in how the arrow hits at longer distances. If you can, find a place where you can shoot indoors to get sighted in at the longer yardage. I am taking into account that you are only using one pin with windage and elevation adjustment.

I hope this helps!!!

Shoot Straight!!!
Old 03-31-2003, 05:49 PM

thanks for the advice i will give it a try tomarrow. i did notice today that the quicker i release the arrow the more accurate i am. if i just pull up and take the shot i seem to be more accurate then if i hold the pin for a couple seconds before i let her go. but i don' t know if this means a hill of beans or not?
Old 03-31-2003, 05:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Click........I hate to say it....but I guess I will.
What you just described is exactly the WORST way to shoot if you want long range accuracy.

Stop squeezing the trigger altogether........pull thru the shot with your back muscles. The reason you get " better" accuracy when you shoot quick is Target Panic.

Back Tension, Back Tension, Back Tension...........Trust me on this one, or you will have bad shooting habits for life.

Say it with me.........I WILL NOT PUNCH OR SQUEEZE THE TRIGGER.

Old 03-31-2003, 05:57 PM

yes i am shooting outside but i am shooting with three pins 20-30-40
Old 03-31-2003, 06:10 PM
Dominant Buck

I think Matt probably has the root of your problem. When you work on that you should also make sure your bow hand is the SAME every time. If you have that bow settled to deeply into the palm of the hand or are switching between wrist positions you' re going to wander. I think you need to back track and do some blind bale practice and work on that back tension. Like he says, relax that trigger hand and get the tip of that finger off the release. Draw length must be right. If it' s a little long it' s almost impossible to get consistancy... especially if you' re punching and triggering on the fly.
Old 03-31-2003, 06:18 PM

how exactly do i practice my form and back tension. what are some things that i can do to let me know i am do it the right way? what are the major points of the technique?

Quick Reply: do you think it is my form?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.