Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Deer looking up? >

Deer looking up?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer looking up?

Old 11-12-2008, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer looking up?

To say that a deer does not have the ability to learn is ubsurd. How would they gather their survival skills in the first place? Cant say that its instinct, or else they wouldnt need parental care at all.

Ive gotta think that they can put2 and 2 together, maybe not like humans can, but still they are not totally empty in there. You've got to give them a little credit.[8D]
Old 11-12-2008, 08:01 PM

ORIGINAL: NY/Al

To say that a deer does not have the ability to learn is ubsurd. How would they gather their survival skills in the first place? Cant say that its instinct, or else they wouldnt need parental care at all.

Ive gotta think that they can put2 and 2 together, maybe not like humans can, but still they are not totally empty in there. You've got to give them a little credit.[8D]
I agree, but I think its just in the wording.

When someone says the word learn, to me this implies cognitive thinking and reasoning skills to come to a conclusion.

Deer are trained or conditioned to behave the way they do, some things come natural by birth, like the flight instinct....but everything comes through repitition and conditioning.

Semantics I guess, but I just dont think deer have the ability to "learn" things...again, its just in the wording to me...they obviously become wiser and more able to survive with age, as experiences shaped them into the survivor they are.

I personally have never seen a deer walking down a trail looking up....I firmly believe they sense something is up before they do this....even if it be peripheral vision. Ever walk somewhere and catch something out of the corner of your eye? To me, I think this is what deer do when they peg someone for no apparent reason...just something stands out (big blob in a tree), so they naturally look up at it.

Who knows, i certainly havent been at it as long as some of these heavyweights....so I wont get in an arguement over a topic that comes with experience...From what I have seen over the last 8 years, deer dont just walk around looking up. Might differ in other regions, just doesnt happen around here...and trust me, KY is no different from anywhere else when it comes to be absolutely pounded by gun hunters.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:09 PM
Dominant Buck

Write this date down.

Trevor and I are in complete agreement.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Conditioned, becoming wiser, shaping....call it want you want Trev. That is learning
Old 11-12-2008, 08:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

ORIGINAL: NY/Al

I agree, but I think its just in the wording.

When someone says the word learn, to me this implies cognitive thinking and reasoning skills to come to a conclusion.

Deer are trained or conditioned to behave the way they do, some things come natural by birth, like the flight instinct....but everything comes through repitition and conditioning.

Semantics I guess, but I just dont think deer have the ability to "learn" things...again, its just in the wording to me...they obviously become wiser and more able to survive with age, as experiences shaped them into the survivor they are.

I personally have never seen a deer walking down a trail looking up....I firmly believe they sense something is up before they do this....even if it be peripheral vision. Ever walk somewhere and catch something out of the corner of your eye? To me, I think this is what deer do when they peg someone for no apparent reason...just something stands out (big blob in a tree), so they naturally look up at it.

Who knows, i certainly havent been at it as long as some of these heavyweights....so I wont get in an arguement over a topic that comes with experience...From what I have seen over the last 8 years, deer dont just walk around looking up. Might differ in other regions, just doesnt happen around here...and trust me, KY is no different from anywhere else when it comes to be absolutely pounded by gun hunters.
Very wise. Much potential. Thats what it takes, logic.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:20 PM

ORIGINAL: MN/Kyle

Conditioned, becoming wiser, shaping....call it want you want Trev. That is learning
I guess so, it just seems like alot of guys give these deer the ability to reason and think things through, cognitive thought so to speak.

They are an animal, smart in a survival sense? yes....can they think things through and discern the hows whys whos? no....

I did look up the definition of learning, and it evens mention gaining knowledge through experience or conditioning[&:], so my wording arguement isnt viable...just how I view the word.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

ORIGINAL: MN/Kyle

I guess so, it just seems like alot of guys give these deer the ability to reason and think things through, cognitive thought so to speak.

They are an animal, smart in a survival sense? yes....can they think things through and discern the hows whys whos? no....

I did look up the definition of learning, and it evens mention gaining knowledge through experience or conditioning[&:], so my wording arguement isnt viable...just how I view the word.
Trev:

We'll call it Associative learning (see Pavlov, Classical Conditioning)
Old 11-12-2008, 08:25 PM

If lions, monkeys, elephants, etc can be trained to learn things, so can deer.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: XzyluM

If lions, monkeys, elephants, etc can be trained to learn things, so can deer.
Ya, train a house cat to speek or setand call me.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Can you say "Anal-y-sis"?

LT

Quick Reply: Deer looking up?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.