Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 The 2008 Rut That Wasn't? >

The 2008 Rut That Wasn't?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The 2008 Rut That Wasn't?

Old 11-11-2008, 07:18 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: The 2008 Rut That Wasn't?

I have been seeing good chasing all this last week, only by small bucks about 1.5 years old until today. Today I had 2 shooters, about a 150 inch 9-pointer and about a 130 inch 10-pointer chasing a doe hard with two other small 1.5 year olds following slowly.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: IAhuntr

That's precisely where the rutting moon theory loses some of its edge. Whereas you haven't even seen chasing yet, the bucks here in Iowa have been on their feet and chasing does hard core for the last 5 or 6 days.Both locationsare in the same rutting moon phase, but the action is vastly different.
That's what makes it a theory, I mean, you can argue the theory of evolution, plate tectonics, etc. etc. because there are always going to be little things that can throw it from being fact. Alsheimer does have, what, 5000+ data points and has done this study for over 15 years so I tend to think he knows what he's talkin about. You just have to remember, as with any theory, there are parameters outside that which is being studied
Old 11-11-2008, 07:59 PM
Typical Buck

Been the same in Ohio. Had some bucks chasing last week and respomding to rattleing, but the past few days... nothing.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:12 AM

Be patient men, it's going to happen. But, we can't expect to see anything if we are not out there in the woods.
This is only 30 days out of the entire year that we can expect see big bucks and bucks we never seen before.
But, let's keep in mind that if we want to real conservationist, we gotta do some herd management and take out some does!
Old 11-12-2008, 06:32 AM
Bartender

Throw South eastern Wisconsin in with you Germ.
ORIGINAL: Germ

That's precisely where the rutting moon theory loses some of its edge. Whereas you haven't even seen chasing yet, the bucks here in Iowa have been on their feet and chasing does hard core for the last 5 or 6 days.Both locationsare in the same rutting moon phase, but the action is vastly different. I spotted a huge buck 10 yards from the road on the way from work yesterday and turned around and pulled up right next to him. He didn't move. There's only one time of the year a 150 class buck stands his ground to a human in a truck. I gave him a mouth grunt knowing his doe must be close by. Sure enough upon grunting she stood up from the road ditch she was hiding in not five feet from my door. She looked at him, then slowly trotted off while he follwed in behind. That's nothing other than full rut behavior.
Because Iowa has a good buck to doe ratio.

Look at who is having issues
states like

NY
PA
MI
WV

Plain and simple to many does and not enough mature bucks
Old 11-12-2008, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: peakrut

Throw South eastern Wisconsin in with you Germ.

That's precisely where the rutting moon theory loses some of its edge. Whereas you haven't even seen chasing yet, the bucks here in Iowa have been on their feet and chasing does hard core for the last 5 or 6 days.Both locationsare in the same rutting moon phase, but the action is vastly different. I spotted a huge buck 10 yards from the road on the way from work yesterday and turned around and pulled up right next to him. He didn't move. There's only one time of the year a 150 class buck stands his ground to a human in a truck. I gave him a mouth grunt knowing his doe must be close by. Sure enough upon grunting she stood up from the road ditch she was hiding in not five feet from my door. She looked at him, then slowly trotted off while he follwed in behind. That's nothing other than full rut behavior.

states like

NY
PA
MI
WV

Hit the nail on the head there.....
Old 11-12-2008, 11:20 AM
Typical Buck

states like

NY
PA
MI
WV

The ratio in Iowa is not very good at all. Only the Northwest 1/4 of the state hasa decent ratio while the remainder of the state is offering nearly unlimited antlerless tags to try to balance the herd and get the doe numbers where they need to be.
Check page 5 of the DNR handbook to get a feel for how our ratio looks: http://www.iowadnr.gov/law/files/08huntingregs.pdf
Old 11-12-2008, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

yeah, they've been chasing here in IL, but I think this weekend should be prime, and then in a few days lock down, with mayhem to follow after that!
Old 11-12-2008, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rutting hard in va early in, if your getting frustrated switch it up a little. This week I slept in and hit my stands around 7ish, been seeing deer all week between 9 and 2. I wouldn't come out at 10:30 this weekbased on how they've been acting around here.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

states like

NY
PA
MI
WV

The ratio in Iowa is not very good at all. Only the Northwest 1/4 of the state hasa decent ratio while the remainder of the state is offering nearly unlimited antlerless tags to try to balance the herd and get the doe numbers where they need to be.
Check page 5 of the DNR handbook to get a feel for how our ratio looks: http://www.iowadnr.gov/law/files/08huntingregs.pdf
I will take Iowa any day over MI Your ratio my be bad, but it's the fact you have 3.5 and older bucks that make the differnce.

I may have 1 or 2 in my area, I really think none right now. I watch Todd see 11 in one afternoon. That would take me 15 years to see in MI

Quick Reply: The 2008 Rut That Wasn't?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.