Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 The 2008 Rut That Wasn't? >

The 2008 Rut That Wasn't?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The 2008 Rut That Wasn't?

Old 11-11-2008, 03:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: The 2008 Rut That Wasn't?

Finally picking up here in my area here in WI at least. Last week sucked, this week has been much better. Just riding out an ice storm now... yuk! I was in shorts 1 week ago today lol how can you not love that??
Old 11-11-2008, 04:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: IAhuntr

That's precisely where the rutting moon theory loses some of its edge. Whereas you haven't even seen chasing yet, the bucks here in Iowa have been on their feet and chasing does hard core for the last 5 or 6 days.Both locationsare in the same rutting moon phase, but the action is vastly different.
What you say here, which is FACT,is EXACTLY why I'm skeptical of this concept. I will say, if I start seeing rut activity between tomorrow and Saturday (Pa's early season ends), I'll be much more of a believer this moon thing.
The fact that I have to wait an hour on standfor it to get light, and I'm not hearing any chasing going on, tells me it just isn't happening yet. At first I was blaming the warm temps, then the windy conditions. At one point I was asking myself if I was over hunting my stand? I even went as far as to try another area 200yrds away from my regular spot. No activity.It's just not really underway yet. The nextfour days will tell the story! We'll just see about this moon thing.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Last year the moon was October 26th. On the 27th I saw numerous bucks chasing, fighting, and cruising. This year the moon is the 13th, and my vacation starts the 14th. I have always based my vacation days around the 2nd full moon (aka hunters moon), and have always seemed to get into some good rutting action.

Currently I have not seen a single deer in my past 4 sits.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff, I'm in the same boat. I put in 2 all day sitsSunday andMondayand didn't see anything. Sunday was at a spot which receives fairly light hunting pressure. Rubs and scrapes are definitely there and fresh. Yet, no movment. I blamed it on the 15-20mph wind.

However, yesterday I was at my private land sweet spot and the wind waspretty light and it was 35degrees and sunny yet no movement either. I don't know what to blame it on besides the show hasn't started yet.There is only one other hunter that I know has permission to hunt this piece. Maybe he's been spooking deer and changing their patterns, I don't know. What I do know is that last year this spot was aPRIME rut spot, I mean PRIME as prime can be. Bedding and trails like a frikkin dozen deer super highways coming together in one area. I saw many bucks last year here including a Cabela's buck.

I'm putting my faith in the moon.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:26 PM

Early in-

Be patient for that rut to kick in. Right now it's around the northern states, so you should be gettin' into third gear here soon before kickin' into overdrive. I'm down here in KY and everything is quiet.....to quiet......makes you think. THE CALM BEFORE THE STORM!

When the full moon on the 14th appears, we are gonna see some things change..BIG time!
Old 11-11-2008, 06:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

That's precisely where the rutting moon theory loses some of its edge. Whereas you haven't even seen chasing yet, the bucks here in Iowa have been on their feet and chasing does hard core for the last 5 or 6 days.Both locationsare in the same rutting moon phase, but the action is vastly different. I spotted a huge buck 10 yards from the road on the way from work yesterday and turned around and pulled up right next to him. He didn't move. There's only one time of the year a 150 class buck stands his ground to a human in a truck. I gave him a mouth grunt knowing his doe must be close by. Sure enough upon grunting she stood up from the road ditch she was hiding in not five feet from my door. She looked at him, then slowly trotted off while he follwed in behind. That's nothing other than full rut behavior.
Because Iowa has a good buck to doe ratio.

Look at who is having issues
states like

NY
PA
MI
WV

Plain and simple to many does and not enough mature bucks
Old 11-11-2008, 06:57 PM
Typical Buck

I'm hearing the same things although in the last two days i have seen 10 different bucks, which is more than i saw all of last season
Old 11-11-2008, 07:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Germ

That's precisely where the rutting moon theory loses some of its edge. Whereas you haven't even seen chasing yet, the bucks here in Iowa have been on their feet and chasing does hard core for the last 5 or 6 days.Both locationsare in the same rutting moon phase, but the action is vastly different. I spotted a huge buck 10 yards from the road on the way from work yesterday and turned around and pulled up right next to him. He didn't move. There's only one time of the year a 150 class buck stands his ground to a human in a truck. I gave him a mouth grunt knowing his doe must be close by. Sure enough upon grunting she stood up from the road ditch she was hiding in not five feet from my door. She looked at him, then slowly trotted off while he follwed in behind. That's nothing other than full rut behavior.
Because Iowa has a good buck to doe ratio.

Look at who is having issues
states like

NY
PA
MI
WV

Plain and simple to many does and not enough mature bucks
I never even considered thisas acontributingfactor as to why there isn't any action taking place yet. Very good thought.WOW! Very interesting.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have not seen much myself either, but my brother shot a big buck on the same farm that was chasing a doe and come running to a grunt call.. sooo.. I dunno... The woods is still surrounded by standing corn and I'm sure that has something to do with it. Oh Well, I'll keep pluggin till I can't plug no more..
Old 11-11-2008, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Same exact thing here.

Except all my friends are seeing TONS of activity...and I sit till 11 oclock and see nothing.....and this has been for 2 weekends in a row.

I dont know whats up....maybe its just bad luck or bad timing. The guys we hunt next to us are all tagged out....they shot 6 deer opening day and we didnt see a darn thing out of 4 hunters.

I hope things change...I am still deerless for the year.

Quick Reply: The 2008 Rut That Wasn't?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.