Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Big Ohio Brute** updated w/ score and more pics >

Big Ohio Brute** updated w/ score and more pics

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Big Ohio Brute** updated w/ score and more pics

Old 11-11-2008, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Big Ohio Brute** updated w/ score and more pics

A friend of my dad's shot this buck last week. He's bringing it over tomorrow night to have it green scored. I can't wait to see it in person!

Here is the (long)story and pics, a must read. Enjoy! (Tuscarawas County)

The sad truth is that I was not even going to hunt yesterday evening. I had been in Kansas on a 10 day bow hunt the previous week, and much work had accumulated at Newhouse ( company he owns) for me to address. However, the reason that I had went to Kansas when I did is because I knew that things were going to get real good, real quick at my place. I have said to many friends over the years, that the best hunt in all the land is my property the week of and after Halloween. Reason being, I have taken 4 out of my last 5 bucks on Halloween and missed many trick or treat nights with the family. In fact, I saw 12 bucks on Monday night between 4:45 and 5:30.

[/align]
In Kansas, I got up close and personal with a 190 class typical 12 point but could not get a shot through the "wild" marijuana plants that grew on the soybean field edges of where I was hunting. In Kansas, the call it "ditch weed".Watching a big buck at30-35 yards for 20 minutes is a test on anyone's patience. However, I could not bring myself to take a bad shot ata great buck. Leave it to reefer to mess you up! However, I got to see what I thought would bemy"deer of a life time" and had no regrets by not killing it.

[/align][/align]
On Wednesday, I had called my hunting partner at 3:00 p.m. to tell him that I was not going to go that evening. After much banter, I suggested that he go ahead and I would hunt in an area that allowed me to get in a stand that I could get in quick. As you guessed it, he would hear none of this and said he would pick me up at my house at 3:45 p.m. In reality, we left my house at 3:50 p.m. and just climbed ontomy stand at 4:10 p.m. (I know this because of a text message I had just received on my Blackberry that I thought I had to read). I screwed my bowhanger into the tree, put my bow with quiver attached onto the hanger, secured my safety harness strap to the tree and put my "Bow Bat" around the tree that has pockets to hold my release (grunts, rattle bag, laser range finder, etc.). As soon as I cinched my "bow bat" to the tree, I saw massive antlers coming up a hill and crossing a power line right of way at 40 to 60 yards behind my tree (I was still facing opposite my seat). The key to the good fortune that happens next is that I never noticed his rack again, it was though they were "blacked out" to me. The buck continues to come until he is at 20 yards, still on line andbehind my tree. As you might have guessed, I still had to get my release on and knock an arrow. Talk about getting caught off guard! I tucked my shoulders into and to wards the tree so that he can't see me. The buck moves to my left, his right and walks beside my tree maintaining a 20 yard gap from me. I quickly put on my release, knock and arrow, pivot and spinclockwise on my right foot and drop my 20 yard pin at 18 inches back of his left shoulder (as he stood quartering away from me at 21 yards). Never before had I shot my bow with my quiver on, but there had to be a first time and this was it. I saw the arrow enter up to the fletching, quartering toward his front right shoulder. He ran 10 yards, walked another 60 yards until he was directly in front of me at 50 yards, and then dropped to the ground and gave his death growl. The official time of death was 4:15 p.m.

[/align][/align]
I stayed on stand (with binoculars glued to the deer) for 30 minutes. I wiped "sweat" from my eyes, started to shake with nerves and watched this beast grow massively(instead of ground shrinkage). When I tracked his path after the shot, he never bled a drop of blood because I had shot him squarely through the heart and his cavity filled with blood but had no exit passage. He has length, mass and lots of character.

[/align][/align]
I can say that the story is as good as the buck, and we will wait for 60 days to get the rack scored by an official scorer. I have taken lots of calls from friends and fellow hunters (mostly strangers)alike. Although I am keeping out of the hype as much as possible, it is certainly hard to do when youharvest something like this.

[/align]

[/align]
Old 11-11-2008, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Big Ohio Brute

WOW!!!!!! nice buck!!!!!! congrats on a fine buck
Old 11-11-2008, 07:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wow, what a buck. Mass, height, incredible. His neck is huge. Then again if I had 25 lbs of anter on my head my neck would be huge too. Congrats to him. Great buck.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am totally in awe of the caliber of bucks that are coming out of the midwest this season. Congradulations to you. That is.. a tremendous animal.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Very nice and another Ohio buck keeping pace with other states~
Old 11-11-2008, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow! He is a main frame 8pt. that will probably gross in the 180's. Thats just his main frame. Add all the extra stuff and he's going to be in the 190's. One of the most impressive deer I've seen this year. Reason being is because I love huge 8ptrs.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll have the green score by tomorrow night. I'm going over to take some pics and watch my buddy score it.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wow! Congrats to him!
Old 11-11-2008, 08:39 AM

Thats a hell of a buck
Old 11-11-2008, 08:46 AM
Typical Buck

Wow. What a story and what a buck. I bet his friend who "made" him go gets a lot of free beer for a while.

Quick Reply: Big Ohio Brute** updated w/ score and more pics

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.