Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Not good!!

Old 11-10-2008, 10:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Not good!!

Yesterday morning after I got back from hunting I took my recurve out of It's case like I always do and hang It up on It's hook In my front porch. Every time before I hang It I always look at the limbs and string to make sure everything looks fine. Guess what I find, my upper limb Is starting to laminate! Little tiny slivers are slowly peeling away from the outside edge of the top limb. I'm bummed and pissed big time!! I took It outside right away and grabbed some practice arrows and shot about 60 arrows out of It and nothing seemed different. I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn being I was nervous as heck pulling It back and waiting for It to blow up. I'm going to keep hunting with It until It either blows up or the cracks get allot worse then they already are. I'm not exactly sure how picky I'm going to be now with shooting a deer. I'll never shoot a buck that won't make books (management thing) but I'm really thinking seriously about taking a doe now being I'm not sure how long my bow will last. I have no back up bow and the money situation Is very tight right now so I won't be out looking for a different recurve until the middle of the winter I'm guessing. I don't want to go without a deer this year being venison Is allot cheaper then beef Is. I'm In a tough spot, not sure what to do. Do I hold off and wait for a buck and take a chance on my bow blowing up and then go without any venison? Or do I shoot the 1st doe that walks In front of me before my blows up so I can get some meat In the freezer and save some cash Instead of buying some beef? The area I hunt In only gives out one tag total.

I've been bow hunting with this same recurve for 14 years this fall. It's been a great recurve and we've done very well as a team. It's shot me many deer and bear, 2 of which were P&Y animals. 140 1/8" Mn Whitetail and a 20 5/16 Mn Bear. Next year I'll have a new Recurve In the woods for the 1st time In 14 years. It's kinda sad If you ask me! We got pretty attached to each other.

2009 can't get here quick enough, been a tough year all together!
Old 11-10-2008, 10:44 PM

Default RE: Not good!!

any possible way of having a professional fix your bow? Relaminate it so to speak?

Loosing a bow of 14 years would be like loosing a friend, youve done well with it though.

I hope a buck helps you make that decision by offering a shot before a doe. It really depends on what you want. Would you rather have the chance at a buck and possibly go without venison this year, or would you be content with a nice doe for the freezer and no buck this year?
Old 11-10-2008, 10:56 PM
Fork Horn

Just shoot the bow sparingly yah never know you might get anothe 100 arrows out of it ! Good luck

Old 11-10-2008, 11:03 PM
Typical Buck

Goodluck with your bow schultzy hopefully it can hold out til Dec 31st.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry to hear Schultzy, not sure if you can get epoxy that would do in a pinch or not, either way, I believe it's days are numbers. Good Luck getting P&Y #3 with it before it's ready to retire!!!
Old 11-11-2008, 05:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Man, that really sucks! If I were you, I'd wait for a doe that's got a lot of meat on her, or a shooter buck. Good luck with whatever you decide Schultzy!
Old 11-11-2008, 06:21 AM
Typical Buck

Sorry about your good friend Schultzy. Maybe it will finish the season out. Maybe you should charge an extra quarter/hundred for hauling to compensate your loss. Just kidding, good luck with your recurve.
Chris
Old 11-11-2008, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow tough spot to be in. If your wanting meat, shoot a nice fat doe. Do you have any buddys that you shoot trad bows with? Maybe one of them has an extra bow you could shoot the rest of the season? Just a thought
Old 11-11-2008, 06:55 AM

That sucks Steve. Can anyone on here lend him a decent recurve for the rest of the season?? I would but I don't own one.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have confidence it will work out for ya Steve

Quick Reply: Not good!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.