Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 So who is king of the bow hill this year??? >

So who is king of the bow hill this year???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

So who is king of the bow hill this year???

Old 03-29-2003, 05:46 PM

Default So who is king of the bow hill this year???

Bowtech was white hot last year with all the super speed+no shock bows. VFT has been a great launching pad for them.

This year they seem to have slowed a bit. Still moving forward and cutting edge but seem to have lost a little momentum. The extreme VFT doesn' t seem to have everyone talking and the Patriot dually is a great bow I' m sure, but it' s still a Patriot........which a lot of people already own. They needed another trend setter IMO.

Mathews LX I am sure is a very nice bow............but V notch limb pockets for a better fit is the big innovation from the leading force in bows??? ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz They make great bows that' s for sure.....but geez their last couple " big" innovations have been attached string vib stoppers, a roller cable and new limb pockets???? Wake me up when the fun starts!!

Hoyt......They have to be thrilled with the response to the cam 1/2 system. I know I have heard more people talking about Hoyts this year then last. The Razortech is probably the hottest hunting bow for this year. The Hoyt guys are winning shows and all seems well with the shiney red apple bows. Good for them. Hoyt has really hit a home run this year. I have not shot any new Hoyts yet but have yet to hear anyone say they were not sweeeeeeeeeeeeet.

I think plenty of other companies have done a good job this year don' t get me wrong.

I think the animal tracks in the risers of Reflex bows are VERY cool AND they have the cam 1/2 system to boot!!! Bravo Hoyt once again.

The Martin cougar also has paw prints that are cool in the riser just to be fair.

Ben Pearson Freedom shows yet another company employing VFT

Competition makes for better bows every year............I for one am glad to see the momentum shift from company to company. Keeps them on their toes!!

Any thoughts???
Old 03-29-2003, 06:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: So who is king of the bow hill this year???

Atlasman,
Good topic, but I don' t know if we can pick a " king" every year. The companies can' t be expected to come out with something groundbreaking every year. I do think, however, that Hoyt has taken the market by storm this year. Looks like a great concept. Only time will tell.
Charlie
Old 03-29-2003, 06:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Might still have the " Patriot" name attached to it, but the Patriot Dually is nothing like the 02' Patriot......unless 3/4" more brace height and 20fps faster qualifies it as " Same Ol' Patriot"
I like the fact that BowTech addresses customer concerns from year to year and makes an effort to improve upon those criticisms........grip,balance,weight etc.
I look to them to be a major player year in and year out now, and they should have a great year.
Gonna sell a ton of Pat Duallys to the short armed crowd and guys like me who like " Overkill" in as shootable of a package as I can find.

Hoyt........very nice stuff, C.5 is impressive......plus you gotta respect a company who has the cajones to completely abandon the now " traditional" single cam system. Cudos to Hoyt, nice lineup!!

The big surprise to me is Mathews........all I hear from that direction is crickets and a soft spring breeze. Not a whole lot of noise from the faithful?

Some others that will be big this year?.......AR is getting some good reviews and creating a bit of a buzz around the boards, but for the most part the " King of the Hill" race is pretty quiet this year.
I still wish the Merlin gods would accidentally drop a Max2000 or 3000 from the heavens for me to try........been interested in those bows for quite some time but I just haven' t taken the plunge to try one yet, and it looks like I' ll have to wait another year as my bow budget just ran out for 2003.
ALpine' s new line-up looks nice as well, I had a chance to play with one at the Harrisburg show and still really can' t figure out why that company doesn' t get it together and take off........too interested in " Rubber thingies" I guess.
And darnit sooner or later I' m gonna get a new Oneida!! Yeah you heard me AN ONEIDA!!![8D]

My personal " King of the Hill" ? I think as far as hunting bows go(since we ARE in the bowhunting forum).......its gonna be tough to beat the Patriot Dually. 28" draw shooters who can now have their honest 300fps+(if they so choce) Hunting bow and just about an 8" brace height to boot. A little stiffer on the draw than what many of the single cam crowd is used to, but the performance is there for the taking.....and that draw cycle really butters up in the 60# model.
Old 03-29-2003, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think the BowTechs will sell better than last year. It' s a bold move to come out with so many dual cam bows. But I feel people are seeing the light re: dual cams. The Pat Dually has to be the best chance for short draw archers to get some speed with a heavy arrow, and still have ample brace height. The VFT and Pat single cam should be hot for the one cammers. My vote goes to BowTech. They sure listened, and responded, to customers thoughts concerning grips, weight, and balance.
Hoyt' s cam & 1/2 is very nice. I liked the Razortec I shot real well. If I wasn' t a BowTechie, I' d shoot the Hoyt.
Old 03-29-2003, 09:33 PM

Atlasman,
Good topic, but I don' t know if we can pick a " king" every year. The companies can' t be expected to come out with something groundbreaking every year.

That is the beauty of King of the hill........you are easily knocked off----you don' t stay there for long------and once you get bounced you fight like heck to get back to the top.

No offense meant to any company........there can only be one at the top and just wondered who people thought was on top this year by the look of the new lines.

They better come out with something groundbreaking if they expect people to shell out $600+ for new bows each year. If the new bows aren' t better then the old ones people would have no reason to buy.

If you own a Legacy are you gonna run out to get an LX??? Why??? So you can have V shaped limb tips?? BOOOOOOOOOORING!!!!!

At least Patriot owners can try a dually if they choose (like Phil) Hoyt owners have whole new cam systems to check out, some bow lines are offering VFT for the first time......etc. Something new....a reason to buy.

I love the fact that Hoyt is getting a ton of buzz this year (I don' t own a Hoyt) If anything it will make the top companies realize they have to keep up or fall behind which equals death in this business.

10 to 1 Mathews comes out with something more then nicely fitting limb pockets next year........and that is because Hoyt and Bowtech are getting so much attention now that Mathews surely has taken notice.

I hope they never stop trying to out do each other. We are the real winners in that battle.
Old 03-29-2003, 09:43 PM

Matt

I didn' t mean to belittle the Pat dually. I am sure it is quite the sweet bow. I just don' t see many people running to the shops to trade in a Patriot they just bought last year for $650 for 20fps.

I think the Pat dually will get a ton of NEW buyers........more then guys trading in a Patriot for a Patriot anyways. I could be wrong....that is the beauty of an opinion

The VFT extreme I am sure is just as sweet but the lower brace height may cause people to look elsewhere. I shoot a 6.75 brace height and have no trouble but people have that 7" figure they focus on.

I think Bowtech is doing wonderfully. They aren' t going anywhere but up. Just think they slowed a little and Hoyt stomped on the gas........Mathews has fallen asleep IMO.

All their bows are great........but there can only be one king
Old 03-29-2003, 09:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Atlas, I know that.......that' s what the little was for!!

As for not turning in a 02' Pat for a 03' Dually Pat?HMmmmmm

Let' s see, I did, as well as my buddy Frank, and I think about 4-6 people on this board alone including Ausie Guy, Jeff etc......... and probably more. (if anyone else did as well, speak up, now I' m curious)
You see BowTech took a bow we all thought was great, listened to what we would like to see changed, balance issues, weight, grip and " boy wouldn' t that bow be awesome in a Dual Cam?" etc. AND THEY ACTUALLY DID IT!! A guy has to feel obligated to buy one then right!?[]
I' m not sure many people are necessarily gonna dump their single cam 02' Pat for a 03' single cam Pat , but alot of them sure are jumping ship for the Dually.

I don' t think BowTech has slowed at all, and I think if we could see their first quarter sales numbers that would back up my hunch.........but I do agree that Hoyt has pressed down the accelerator for 03' as well.
Old 03-29-2003, 10:28 PM
Fork Horn

I don' t mean to be the idiot but personally i love the matthews over the bowtech, hoyt, PSE etc... any day the price might be high but it is way worth it and i don' t like how you are talking so much trash about them.
They aslo added a new cam to the LX to and it is faster than the legacy [:@]
Old 03-29-2003, 10:31 PM
Fork Horn

Oh yeah i forgot something you are talking about how matthews is lazy at upgrading

look at your title to the post

" whos the king of the bow HILL
Old 03-29-2003, 11:03 PM

b-rice,

I don' t think atlasman was bashing Mathews at all. He never said anything bad about there products. But, you have to look at the whole picture, Mathews really done any ground breaking moves this year. BowTech brought in more dually' s (to please the crowds), plus, they brought in the Extreme VFT. Hoyt entirely ditched all single cam' s to get the cam and a half system working, which has proven to be an awsome system. Some other companies are making breakthroughs, Browning with there dual yoke system and High Country with there all carbon bows (not really sure if it was the best move). Mathews really didn' t do anything earth shattering. I bet that next year Mathews will have something comming out that is going to turn alot of heads, but, lets face it, this year they didn' t.

It is not so much about being king of the hill as bringing in new ideas. Go check out EBay and see how many Mathews are for sale on there. About half of all the bows on there are Mathews. Sure, alot of people are selling them to get the new LX, but, I bet that even more are selling them to go get a new Hoyt, BowTech, ect....

No bashing done, last year Mathews seemed to be the " break-through" company, and, this year they aren' t. There is no company that can make brand new and ground breaking innovations each year. But I wish they would......

Quick Reply: So who is king of the bow hill this year???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.