Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 A thought on the Great "RAGE" debate. >

A thought on the Great "RAGE" debate.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A thought on the Great "RAGE" debate.

Old 11-09-2008, 01:41 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: A thought on the Great "RAGE" debate.

ORIGINAL: Predator19

Heres my take on the situation. Its pretty simple. With a perfect shot the Rage heads are doing some serious damage. On a not so perfect shot(shoulder), the may have some problems.
I agree and I believe the problem is in the tip. The cut on contact blade style tips tend to stick in bone instead of penetrating and breaking bone like trocar style tip. I've shot Rocky Mountain Gators 2" 2 blade with the trocar tip for years and never not had a pass thru.The bad news isa couple years ago Rocky Mountain changed their tip design to a blade style like the Rage.[:@]
Old 11-09-2008, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its almost impossible to tie KE directly to passthroughs because there are a nearly infinite number of variables that come into play with each shot on game. Differnt angles, different situations, different size deer.... the possibilities are endless.

There are guys shooting these things off crossbows and not getting passthroughs on does, then you have guys shooting 60#s and blasting right through deer at 30 yards..... variables.

You'd have to develop an objective test. Set up a number of bows with descending/ascending KE and shoot at a consistant media and measure the penetration. It would take cow hide, 1/8" plywood and probably 7-10" of balistic gel with another piece of 1/8" and cowhide on the other side. Thats about as objective a test as I can think of.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: IAhuntr

I agree and I believe the problem is in the tip. The cut on contact blade style tips tend to stick in bone instead of penetrating and breaking bone like trocar style tip. I've shot Rocky Mountain Gators 2" 2 blade with the trocar tip for years and never not had a pass thru.The bad news isa couple years ago Rocky Mountain changed their tip design to a blade style like the Rage.[:@]
See I think the problem is the angle of the blades in the fully open position.Rather than slicing through tissue, barely obtuse angle with respect to the ferrel the 2-blade Rage's have give a "snow plow" effect.

Someone in the first thread made the comparison of cutting a steak by pushing down with a knife vs slicing through it..... perfect example IMO.

If they would make the entire head LONGER, and make the angle more obtuse, I think you'd see fewer folks talking about not having passthroughs.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:01 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

Its almost impossible to tie KE directly to passthroughs because there are a nearly infinite number of variables that come into play with each shot on game. Differnt angles, different situations, different size deer.... the possibilities are endless.
My thoughts exactly! One thought comes to mind! If there is this much debate on a broadhead, then it seems to me that this is a BH I want to stay away from.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:45 PM
Dominant Buck

OMG... there's a Great Rage Debate??? I'm sorry I missed it. Having always frowned on mechanicals I find it odd that all the great Ragers are debating. LOL Let's put it this way. Of the last 40 or 50 deer I've shot with a fixed broadhead(whether Tunderhead, Shuttle T or whatever) I only remember onethat was aNOT pass thru... that got hung up in the off shoulder and broke. The rest have just done their job. Maybe I need a 1000 grain arrow?[8D] My nephew buggered one up Saturday whenhis mechanicalskidded along the ribs or something and screwed it up. I don't think extra weight is necessarily the answer. With weight you loose speed and probably end up back where you started. With a fixed..... it really doesn't matter as long as you're tuned.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

460 grain arrow at 286fps out of my Guardian

4 for 4 on pass thrus with Rage.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: IAhuntr
I agree but not completely. I've been shooting cut on contact BH's for 24 years, here's my experience with them. It really depends on the angle, toughness and design of your cut on contact BH on whether your going to be able to penetrate bone decent or not. Not Included In this discussion Is the knuckle In the shoulder, that's Impossible to penetrate! My old 125 grain 2 blade bear razors with bleeders did pretty good on hitting ribs square entering and exiting and on one occasion I hit the off side leg and busted It In 2 pieces. I then switched up BH's being bear changed there design on the points of the BH's, they rounded/squared It some and I didn't care for It being I figured It would rob me of penetration. I switched up to a 125 grain 2 blade with bleeders Satellite Titan. It didn't take long to figure out that thing was junk, the ferrul would bend when hitting good bone or squaring ribs once In a while so I only used them for 3 years until they were all used up (didn't take long being they would bend when target practicing with them). From them I went to a 3 blade head and It's the same BH I'm using yet today. In my opinion It's the best piece of equipment on my bow. I shoot a 125 grain 3 blade Magnus Snuffer. It's tough, the angles are great, and the tip Is crazy sharp (cut on contact). I've hit 2 shoulder blades with It, didn't stop them a bit. Many many times I've squared both ribs solid In the middle of them and blew right on through the animal. This Is a 3 blade BH, that's saying something If there doing what I just said. My sister In law pulls 45lbs back with her compound, she shoots this same exact BH and had her's do a complete pass through on her one and only deer. Another friend of mine's g/f had the same very thing happen this year on a doe. Same BH set up, even less pounds (38lbs) and she also blew on through with a 3 blade Snuffer. Like I said earlier, It's all about the angle, toughness and design of your cut on contact BH. A good design will get It done hands down (even with bone).
Old 11-10-2008, 02:44 AM
Dominant Buck

What's your arrow weight and speed, Schultzy?
Old 11-10-2008, 07:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

What's your arrow weight and speed, Schultzy?
Arrow weight- 561 grains.
fps- 210.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:47 AM
Fork Horn

I am shooting A hoyt PowerTec at 65# with a 29.5" draw. Havent had it chronoed, but it calculates to 256 fps. My arrow weighs 484 grains, so my KE is 70.53.