Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bowhunting Paradise...? >

Bowhunting Paradise...?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting Paradise...?

Old 11-07-2008, 06:08 PM

Default Bowhunting Paradise...?

hey guys,

i am 23 years old and just recently leased to own my very first chunk of land.its only an acre and a half but i can call it my very own.im hoping to bowhunt it next year and in the years to come make it a bowhunters haven for myself.the lot is cleared out with just a few red pines standing around.it was being sold to build on but i am not planning on that.i want to plans various types of plants,bushes and trees to grow over the years.

can anyone recomend what particular plans,bushes or trees would be good to plant and how to set up the land maybe?any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance

-justin d.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Bowhunting Paradise...?

so the land your leasing is only 1.5 acres? To be honest that is not gonna be enough to hunt on really, unless the area around you is all woods and fields. If I were you I would have leased more land because that is a really small chunk of land.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: joemr1288

so the land your leasing is only 1.5 acres? To be honest that is not gonna be enough to hunt on really, unless the area around you is all woods and fields. If I were you I would have leased more land because that is a really small chunk of land.
Really it doesn't matter. All you need is one tree and about 40 yards of shooting distance.

but it would help for a bit more if you want food plots.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:19 PM
Spike

Do 1/4 apple trees, 1/4 pine trees, 1/4 BioLogic, and 1/4 corn. Hang a stand in the pines and cut shooting lanes so you can shoot anywhere on your property. But seriously, make sure you can get permission/access to adjoining properties or you may have to worry about losing deer unless you drop them where they stand.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tresspassing may be involved while getting to your stand also so get permission before anything.
Old 11-08-2008, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm dying to know what a guy would pay for a 1 acre lease ??? [:-]I may be able to offer you hundreds of those "leases: right here in prime west-central Illinois.

You leased a stand sight basically. That should certainly be interesting.... I wouldnt get my hopes up to high if I were you.

Good luck
Old 11-08-2008, 05:23 PM
Fork Horn

Personally I'd let it grow up as thick as all heck, leave a tree or two for a stand. More important than the amount of land, what does the surrounding properties look like?
Old 11-08-2008, 05:59 PM
Dominant Buck

He's buying the land, guys. Give a 23 yr old a break. I say it's commendable....and I wish you a lot of luck.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:04 PM
neb
Typical Buck

I also wish you the best and that is great. Now you will have a spot to hunt.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wish you luck buddy! You have ownership and its yours! Good for you....1.5 acres is plenty if you have good surrounding land. Remember to get permission to track on the other property. This is the only down fall I see with the 1.5 acres. Again - Good for you. I wish I would have did this at 23 years old.