Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Questions for any Rattlers. Need Advice >

Questions for any Rattlers. Need Advice

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Questions for any Rattlers. Need Advice

Old 11-06-2008, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Questions for any Rattlers. Need Advice

1.What time of day do find the most effective
2. Would it still be effective in Iowa at this point?
3. How often should I rattle
4. How long should each "battle" be?
5. Any idea how fast I could see results?
6. What kind of grunts should I use before and after if any?

The blinds that I hunt out of are 200 yards or closer to where the deer bed. Dont flame me for being to close, I have yet to bust one once I figured out what ways to walk in.
There is a MONSTER pig of a buck around, and now that the corn is out he SHOULD be close to me as the combines and tractors dont spook them. Any other ideas to help seal the deal? Any techniques will be apprectiated. I have "the can" and I hate it. I dont know why but the deer hate it so I dont use it.
Old 11-06-2008, 02:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Questions for any Rattlers. Need Advice

try this http://magazine-directory.com/Bowhunter.htm when you get to the site use the search and type in rattling.
Old 11-06-2008, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

1.What time of day do find the most effective - Depending on how hot the action is, all day. If I am in the stand this time of year, I am rattling.
2. Would it still be effective in Iowa at this point? - Not only should it be effective, but should be getting better.
3. How often should I rattle - Again, depending on how hot everything is. I normally rattle about once ever 30 -45 mins, more if the action requires it.
4. How long should each "battle" be? - When I first start rattling earlier in the season, I go for only about 30 sec and not very hard. This time of year, I am starting to put the horns together pretty good and will from 1 - 1 1/2 mins.
5. Any idea how fast I could see results? - I have had come in on the run before I was even done rattling. Other times, one might come in 10-15 mins after I had stopped. There are a lot of factors at play here.
6. What kind of grunts should I use before and after if any? - Aggressive grunts. I have been using the new buck roar and really like it to start off, then I switch to my true talker to end it. Long and deep.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:46 PM
Fork Horn

I know rattling works in many areas, I've certainly done my share of it. I usually find that the maturebucks come in, hang up at 70 yards or so and look for the other buck and when they don't find him, then begin to circle you until down wind of you and unless you've got airthermals working in your favor, off they go with the white tail up. I've never tried it with a decoy though? That might be the key?

I once talked to Mr.Rathaar out there in Iowa whose a very famous hunter who has taken dozens of monster bucks and he told me that in most areas other thanthe south(he's in SE Iowa) rattling will costyou more big bucks thanthan it will helpyou to get them. He said the 4.5 year+ old bucks are not fooled by rattling in most cases asthey can tell the difference of a human rattling to a deer really fighting or sparing. He then said, "some idiots even rattle from 20 feet up in a tree and expect that a mature buck will believe there's deer livinin the tree topsnow." (He's quite a charater but I felt embarrassed as I'd rattled plenty while perched high atop a tree.)

I quit rattling when I rattled to a 177 inchnine pointer 2 years ago in central Illinois.He waswalking a trail in the woods adjacent to my stand(it was taken by another hunter a weeklater is why I know the score).He waspassed me at45 yards, I drew on him but didn't like the shot, too far and there was brush, I had a10 mph wind which was perfect and figured he was not coming by me, I hit the horns after he got out of sightand next thing I see is him running atfull speedthe exact way he came into the wood lot with his tail tucked in. When I went back to camp and spoke with one of the older guys, he laughed at me and said, "don't ever rattle at a mature buck around here, youmight as well have shouted at him and waved your arms." He then told me that I just gave away my location and that I'll never see him from that stand location again. He was right. Those monster bucks are sooo smart.

Again, I know lots of guys have a ton of success rattlingand I know it depends on your area but it's tougher than most people think.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the advice. I will probably stick to softer grunts and doe pee and good ole fashion waiting. If I see the big monster 400 yards out or something I might do it a bit to get his attention and get him closer but given the close proximitey to the beds I might wait til next year.