Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What rut?

Old 11-06-2008, 10:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What rut?

hopefully this weekend things pick up......we went spotting 2 nights ago...probably seen 30 deer on our short trip...all mostly does with little ones....think we IDed 1 or 2 small 1.5yo bucks not doing any chasing...2 BBs fighting...that was it....im sure the big boys were the ones hiding way deep in the fields we could just see eyes on...but really, nothin happening. same thing this morning driving in...seen probably 10 deer in my headlights on the road edges...none being chased or harassed..looked like moms and little ones from what i could tell..... realllll spotty...warm temps arent helping....i talk to ALOT of hunters here at school...some see a chase here and there...but heck, i know guys that have seen chasing opening day....

only question i ask the serious hunters is what time are you seeing deer....its always the same....early mornings, late evenings....anything midday is a small buck and thats few and far between....
Old 11-06-2008, 05:48 PM
Typical Buck

The warm weather isn't helping all. It's gonna cool down next week from what the 10 day forcast says.

And this Mr. Alsheimer has been pretty close on his predictions. I been following his stuff for about 8 years now, and I can say my experiences in the woods jive with his predictions.

Next week will be better. Find some scrapes, rub lines, doe beds and hunt.

Pa's season always ends to early........that's why I"m heading to Ohio!!

ORIGINAL: 3stone

Guys, Nothing to be concerned about. If you follow the writings of Charles Alsheimer (http://charliealsheimer.com/ca/default.htm), the author of Hunting WHitetails by the Moon, then you would know that he is predicting a late rut this year. Things should start picking up this Sunday. This will be one of the latest ruts in 20 years because the Rutting Moon was so late in the calender year.

I exchange emails with him each year (very nice guy) and here is what he told me...

Brett,

The rutting moon hits (full moon) on November 13th this year. The best week will be 11/15 to 22nd. If you only have one week to choose then take the last set of date have. Early November should be flat this year.

Charlie

So get ready.... the woods are about to explode!

Here si the book that I use to plan my trips...

http://www.amazon.com/Hunting-Whitetails-Moon-Charles-Alsheimer/dp/0873418131/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1225988934& amp;sr=1-1
Old 11-06-2008, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

The little bucks are starting to move here in Northern VA. They are starting to chase lightly. The temps are high but are supposed to drop next week. My radar is on for the next 2 weeks. I will be averaging about 7-8 hours a day on stand. I have seen 7 bucks in the last 3 days within 40 yards. They were all fairly small but I saw one 4 pointer chasing a doe pretty good.