Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Experienced rut hunters.....questions... >

Experienced rut hunters.....questions...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Experienced rut hunters.....questions...

Old 11-03-2008, 08:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Experienced rut hunters.....questions...

I gotta agree with what Greg said. Go figure!![8D] It always seems that around the 3rd week of October some of the bigger/older bucks start moving earlier being there getting that Itch. Usually from what I've seen the chase usually Is getting on when the scrapes start to get abandoned by the bucks. The chase Isn't here yet In the area my brother and I are hunting but It's making head way. I haven't seen much for chasing but my brother has had the same buck (130" class) on back to back evenings and mornings checking scrapes and winding bedding areas just out of his range for his longbow. This buck has had ample opportunities to chase doe's while In front of my brother and up till yesterday morning he hadn't yet.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:15 PM
Dominant Buck

I still haven't seen a buck move in the eveningbefore 1/2 hour before last light....or...sundown. Go figure.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

GMMAT, are you seeing most of your buck action in the early mornings?
Old 11-03-2008, 08:37 PM
Fork Horn

Its high 60's here in Ohio with no sign of rut. On the bright side of things, my buddy was hunting the other day and layed a scent trail of tarsal gland down a path in the woods too about 20 yards past where he was ground hunting. He said the big 8 pointer came in nose down the entire way. Getting excited he drew his bow before the buck got past him. BUSTED. I am a big beleive in Code Blue Tarsal Gland around this time because it gets those bucks mad and ready to establish their dominance -- every time I have used it I have had a buck come in. Not time for doe est. yet
Old 11-03-2008, 09:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

I still haven't seen a buck move in the evening before 1/2 hour before last light....or...sundown. Go figure.
My luck hasn't been much better either Jeff, your not alone. So far for me I've seen just one decent buck and he got a free pass (1.5 hours before dark).

I've seen some little ****s also but could care less about them and I'm sure you could say the same thing.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:52 PM

I think your questions are not easily answered as generalities. What is going on visibly is gonna vary state to state, and heck, even county by county. It is often the case that I have buddies and staff members just a few counties away that are seeing very different things in November. Fact is though, that year after year here in MO, the mean breeding date is Nov 15.

I also can tell you from about 15 years experience that what I see in North MO will be happening about one week later where I hunt in southern IL.

I saw a definite shooter last Friday on his feet coming right to me at 3:30 in the pm, while my bow and pack still lay on the ground...(whole nother story there). Last sat morning, one of our team shot a 140 buck and saw 2 other shooterson the movewith the last being around 10 am.

Yesterday, one of our guys shot a nice 130 8 pt at 3:00 chasing 4 does with temps around 75 degrees and mosquitoes unreal.

So...again, hard to give definite answers, LOL. I know if it is at least cool, from here on out, it is all day for me. This will be especially true starting about next Tues thru Sunday as the moon moves towards and is full.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:01 AM
Dominant Buck

fingerz.....yeah.....most action in the mornings. Largest buck I've seen was in the evening, though. Heck...come to think of it, I saw what I think was 6 bucks in one evening (identified 4 of them....and there were 2 others, left unidentified), also.

But ALL my sightings are still very early or very late in the day.

Schultzy....I am seeing a lot of little guys. I'm still enamored by 'em, though....lol. Last year I saw so few bucks. This is a welcome change. The little guy I saw yesterday morning was a heavy horned......SPIKE....lol. Still cool to see.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

They are chasing in eastern NC right now...

I'm down east this week hunting with 4 other guys...We are seeing bucks everywhere...One of my customers killed an 8 point with a 19 inch inside spread yesterday morning at 6:40am...

Yesterday evening he had a 6 pointer chasing does in one of our soybean fields...

Saturday (before the time change) another buddy killed an 8 pointer at 5:05 pm...
Old 11-04-2008, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

In VA it has started topick up with heavy scraping and bucks generally acting more aggressive. Opening day of BP was Sat Nov 1 and the bucks seemed to be on there feet through late morning (around 1000-1030) and a couple of sightings early evening around 0430. The guys I hunt withkilled a couple of does(none had stinky/discolored tarsals) but a couple of the bucks did(but notfull blown where the backs of their entire lower leg looksblack & sticky).

I killed this 8(no brow tines) at about 0830-0900 Saturday and he came in to some rattling/grunting to about 27 yards. He snort/wheezed at me andwas walking around stiff legged like a pissed off dog, so who knows.

pic pg 8

http://hunting.net/forum/tm.aspx?m=3106134&mpage=8

Also there is a pretty significant moon change between now and Nov 13 when we get back to full and the moon rise/set times change a lot as well with the moon actually rising Nov. 13 around 500 pm and setting the next morning around 715 am (so very bright nights through early am).

Fingers are crossed thataction will get heavier soon and temps will drop as I'm off the 7, 8, 10, 11, 14, 15, 17, 22(hopefully anyways).
Old 11-04-2008, 06:43 AM
Typical Buck

another 2 weeks and it'll be hot hot hot

Quick Reply: Experienced rut hunters.....questions...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.