Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Arrowed my trail cam buck from yesterday >

Arrowed my trail cam buck from yesterday

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Arrowed my trail cam buck from yesterday

Old 11-03-2008, 03:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default Arrowed my trail cam buck from yesterday

Well,I arrowed the brute this morning that I posted about yesterday on here in another thread.Here is the story.I got to my stand at about 0515 hrs.While on the way in,and just shy of my stand location I jumped an unknown deer that spooked off,but I could hear hanging around at about 80 to 100 yards out.I snuck into my stand quietly enough that the deer did not go any further.Once I got settled in,and first light came,I was able to see that the deer was a doe.This deer ended up feeding under my stand and eventually made its way down the ridge.Things were quiet until 0720 when I heard a twig snap behind me.As I turned around I could see that the source of the noise was a deer(about 40 yards out) walking towards my stand.As I looked closely at the deer I could see that it was the buck that I captured on my trail camera yesterday.I then watched the buck go right to a mock scrape that I had made,where it stopped and freshened it.The deer was now 35 yards out and I had no shot.After hitting the mock scrape, the buck then angled towards my stand where it stopped at 20 yards and made another scrape.This buck was into this scrape like a madman;thrashing the overhead branch and chewing on it for about 25 seconds or so while occasionaly stopping to paw the ground.Once the buck was done,it took a couple of steps and stopped in a perfect clearing.This is when things got interesting for me.As I began drawing back my bow,I got to about half way,when the arrow popped off the string!The arrow then began to fall to the ground,and as it did I kicked it in mid air to keep it from striking my stand.The arrow hit one branch on the way down and stuck in the ground.The buck noticed this and stared in the direction of the arrow for several seconds,trying to figure out what the noise was.Then, to my suprise it turned and went back to the scrape it had just made.That gave me the opportunity to pull another arrow from my quiver and get it nocked...correctly this time.I had a perfectly clear 20 yard shot at this time so I drew back my bow,put the pin on the sweet spot and let it rip.The shot was perfect,tight behind the left shoulder.The arrow passed through the buck and buried in the dirt on the exit side.The deer ran about 80 yards,stopped to look around and tipped over.I got down and followed the blood trail anyway just to see how it was.It was a low exit so the trail was great.I shot the buck with my '06 68 lb.29" Pearson Steath.I used a CX Maxima hunter arrow guided by my own hand cut feathers and tipped with a 100 grain standard Slick trick.Total arrow weight is 366 grains flying at 298 fps.My bow was equipped with a TR Drop Zone Rest and a Viper Predator sight.The deer is a good sized 8 pt. that dressed out at 176 lbs.It appeared to me to be bigger and older in the trail camera photo taken the day before.Still a nice buck though!

Old 11-03-2008, 03:22 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Arrowed my trail cam buck from yesterday

Got to love that.......
Old 11-03-2008, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can hear the stock on trail cams rising!

Great story and Buck!
Old 11-03-2008, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cool stuff! Congrats on a great deer!
Old 11-03-2008, 03:26 PM

Nice buck and nice shot!
Old 11-03-2008, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

rutt puts another one down. Way to go teammate!
Old 11-03-2008, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome buck with a big neck. I would have guessed he was closer to 200 lbs. dressed in the trail cam photo. Congrats.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:46 PM

I almost bought one of those stelths, but then I tried the bowtechs. No contest.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations on a heck of a buck!!!!!! Great pic's too....
Old 11-03-2008, 04:04 PM
Fork Horn

love the story!! and great buck, congrats

Quick Reply: Arrowed my trail cam buck from yesterday

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.