Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Treestand Malfunction AHH!! >

Treestand Malfunction AHH!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Treestand Malfunction AHH!!

Old 11-03-2008, 10:58 AM
Fork Horn

Default Treestand Malfunction AHH!!

So i decided to head up on the hill for a early hunt before class today and took my climber out for the first time this season. So i got up about 30 feet and set all my hooks and ropes. I wanted to set my stand at a little different angle so i hooked my feet in and my feet cable snapped in two and treestand bottom went tumbling down. My static line caught, then i took a spare tree step out of my pocket and screwed it in to get a footing. Them i hooked my caribiner and belay device into my other rope and repelled out. Does anyone else use another safety line to repell out and anything in a self climber, cause if ur bottom would fall 20-30 feet its kinda hard to find a way down!!!
Old 11-03-2008, 11:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Treestand Malfunction AHH!!

Dude, I only understood half of what you said, but the half I understood tells me YOU'RE THE MAN!

Glad to hear you made it out of that safely.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:19 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

Dude, I only understood half of what you said, but the half I understood tells me YOU'RE THE MAN!

Glad to hear you made it out of that safely.
x2. I take it your top and bottom sections weren't tied together or is that what you call the "static" line?
Old 11-03-2008, 11:55 AM
Dominant Buck

How does one know he's at 30'?!!! WOW! I hunt "occasionally" at 23'.....and that's plenty high enough!

I don't know what's more surprising.....the fact that your upper wasn't connected to your lower......the fact that it fell all the way down......or the fact that some people think hunting at 30' is normal!

Glad you're OK, though.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:21 PM
Typical Buck

I'm confused as to what part broke? What type of stand is it ? Just trying to get an idea of what broke on ya man.

Good job getting down. Glad you're ok!

ORIGINAL: tmontgo1

So i decided to head up on the hill for a early hunt before class today and took my climber out for the first time this season. So i got up about 30 feet and set all my hooks and ropes. I wanted to set my stand at a little different angle so i hooked my feet in and my feet cable snapped in two and treestand bottom went tumbling down. My static line caught, then i took a spare tree step out of my pocket and screwed it in to get a footing. Them i hooked my caribiner and belay device into my other rope and repelled out. Does anyone else use another safety line to repell out and anything in a self climber, cause if ur bottom would fall 20-30 feet its kinda hard to find a way down!!!