Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Stirring The Pot 8X vs 10X >

Stirring The Pot 8X vs 10X

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Stirring The Pot 8X vs 10X

Old 11-03-2008, 06:47 AM
Fork Horn

Default Stirring The Pot 8X vs 10X

Let me preface this with a little of my background.

I have 5 years experience as an optician (lab and dispensing)

I was a US navy Opticalman for 4 years went to tech schools in both Great Lakes Il and New london CT. Serviced thousands of pairs of binoculars, hundereds of periscopes, lots and lots of telescopes, numerous navigational instruments.

4 years experience servicing opthalmic intruments (eye doctors equipments) microscopes, astonomical telescopes, and tons of binoculars.

2 years experience in laser optics

As a side note. When I was involved with astonomical telescopes and astronomical optics we had a little joke about newbies just getting into astronomy. The joke was about amateur astronomers obsession with power. Always the question "what power is this" or "what's the most power I can get out of my scope". People who spend their livesworking with optics know what I'm talking about. Power is way overrated.

So here's my question to you all........

WHY....WHY ....WHY.. do so many of you guys who are obviously pretty damn intelligent carry around 10X binoculars? My guess is that you have fallen prey to a marketing strategy.

I've got a slew of reasons most hunters (especially bow hunters) should be carrying 7X, 8X, 8.5X, or maybe even 9X binos.

I've already heard most of the reasonssome of youcarry 10X. But Let me hear your reason you carry 10X.

I'll post the reasons lower power (8X)are better suited for 99.5% of hunting (&3D)situations after I hear from you all.

By the way if you've got 10X I'm not advocating you throw them away. But if your thinking about getting a new pair or a second pair you might want to rethink or take a closer look at the power.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Stirring The Pot 8X vs 10X

vichris, I used to use 12X50 Bushnells but after going through a couple pairs because of breakage and water fogging issues I bought a pair of 10x42 Brunton. Now I have no complaints other than bulk and they started loosing image. Matt tried to use them once and threw them back to me.

This year to stay IBO legal, I bought the 8x42 Nikon Monarch ATB's and standing at the counter, I tried both the 8x and 10x and to be honest, I prefered the 8x. I'm sure you'll tell me why.

The reason I had chose 10X in the past was I "thought" I'd see more and better. I don't believe that is the case as I'm extremely happy with the 8X's and I honestly think things are clearer.

But you'll school me soon, at least I hope that happens. I constantly try to learn more and we need to keep our minds open to knowledge. I look forward to your post when you are ready. Thanks.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:35 AM
Dominant Buck

I would also like to hear from someone in the know about the FOV. I don't know that much about it.....but I'm guessing it's the range we see at 1000yds? Is a greater FOV # "always" "better"?

I have the same binos Rob does....and don't think I could be happier with them.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have both a 8x42 Nikon and a 12x50. The 8x I use when I hunt in a woods. The 12x I use when I'm hunting open fields. FOV isn't important to me b/c I don't "glass" for deer too often. I use my 12x binoc's to see that deer 500 yards away a little better than I could with my 8x.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:57 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-03-2008, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Because I live and hunt "out west" where the deer, antelope, elk, and coyotesaren't always 25 yards away!! That's why!!
Old 11-03-2008, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Howler

Because I live and hunt "out west" where the deer, antelope, elk, and coyotesaren't always 25 yards away!! That's why!!
X2!!!

Oregons bout as far west as it gets!! haha
Old 11-03-2008, 08:19 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Howler

I live in New Mexico. So I deal with the same issues. I do lots of glassing @ 500yds +
Old 11-03-2008, 09:10 AM
Fork Horn

I've got a pair of Nikon 8x40s that I bought around 7 or 8 yrs ago. It was right before Nikon made the change from 8x40 to 8x42. I really have enjoyed mine but I'm thinking about getting some Vortex Vipers. I'm looking forward to hear your explanation, as I'm sure you have more knowledge on this subject than I do.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:46 AM

Because I hunt here:

Can you tell if that's a billy or nanny with 8x? I can with 10x and it saves me a lot of leg work! That being said, it's about quality not quantity and given the same quality of glass, I'll take the 10x over the 8x any day as long as they both have decent objectives (42mm+) for good light gathering ability ( I realize that 10x70's would be more ideal but there's the weight issue to consider as well...).

Those are my old dependable Leupold Golden Ring 10x42's strapped to my chest, I wouldn't trade them for anything.

Quick Reply: Stirring The Pot 8X vs 10X

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.