Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 update on watery blood post >

update on watery blood post

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

update on watery blood post

Old 11-02-2008, 11:17 AM
Typical Buck

Default update on watery blood post

got back into the blood trail at about 730 this am and found steady blood , the buck crossed a road and headed into some real thick stuff. I trailed it another 150 yards or so as it zig zagged back and forth across a little creek. I finally found my arrow. unbroken, bloody form end to end with a huge clot( the size of a softball or a little bigger on the broadhead). The clot was a dark red, unlike the blood he was losing which was bright red. He then proceeded to bed down on a hillside about 60 yards farther. small amount of blood in it. I then picked up his blood trail which was scttered drops at this pt. He went through a nasty thicket , then crossed a grass pasture, then a narrow chiseled plowed corn field. when he reached the woods again the blood got a lot better with some small pools. This is when I had a 130"10 pter almost run me over. I followed blood down along the lake and up a ridge. Finally almost 1 and3/4 miles later I jump him up from about 20 yrds away in some heavy brush. He blew out another big clot slightly bigger than a baseball. then a few more small ones after that. He ran into another plowed field and that's where I quit. Still no idea of where he was hit. I was on a hillside about 15 foot above him and he was about 35 yrds away quartering away. I'm pretty aggravated. Reason for taking the trail last night is that this is all on public ground with a heavy coyote pop. I had someone take a 155" 8 that I let lay a few yrs ago, didn't want that to happen again.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:31 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: update on watery blood post

[]That sucks.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:33 AM

Grab some lunch and get back out there man!

Show us pics of him when you get back.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:55 AM

With bleeding like that and for that long give him a few more hours and go get him. You know where he jumped up and where he ran so take the track up again and like he said post the pics later.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

1 3/4miles.... and the deer wasn't dead? And was dropping POOLS of blood? A deer doesn't have that much blood in it.

I don't know what to tell you. I've never trailed a deer farther than about 1200 yards (about 3/4 mile)that died in any sort of a timely matter (which for definition purposes is 48 hours).

Did the clots give you any sort of indication of where you might have hit him? Any odd smell or food stuffs or tallow or hair or anything???
Old 11-02-2008, 12:32 PM
Typical Buck

Hope you end up getting him. Let us all know.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:04 PM
Typical Buck

there was no evidence on the arrow just dried blood and the large clot. One spot of blood had about 6 white hairs in it. What gets me is that this buck carried the arrow in him for 1/2 mile and never broke it off. He went through some really thick stuff too. There was no foul odor on the arrow nor in any of the blood either. 90 % of the time there were blood drops every foot and closer. I'm starting to think I hit him too far forward maybe
Old 11-02-2008, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe in the brisket??? You will get light pink blood on a low hit. When your tacking it you swear its a fatal hit. White hairs says to me a low hit.
Old 11-02-2008, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: pjhunts

there was no evidence on the arrow just dried blood and the large clot. One spot of blood had about 6 white hairs in it. What gets me is that this buck carried the arrow in him for 1/2 mile and never broke it off. He went through some really thick stuff too. There was no foul odor on the arrow nor in any of the blood either. 90 % of the time there were blood drops every foot and closer. I'm starting to think I hit him too far forward maybe
As 2 Lunger suggested, perhaps the brisket... but I am starting to think that it may well be the neck you got.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Any update?

Quick Reply: update on watery blood post

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.