Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Snorting Buck?

Old 11-01-2008, 11:48 PM

Default Snorting Buck?

I was in the stand and just after sundown a big buck made his way toward me. I had no idea because he was completely silent on the approach. So I am sitting in a white, plastic deck chair on a wood stand about 12 feet off the ground and I mad the mistake of wearing the lighter windbreaker because it was a comfortable 45ºF in Northeastern Minnesota that night. At 6:40PM (10 minutes after sunset), I went to sit up in my chair because I was slouching. I don't know if he saw me, heard me or smelt the bacon that I was baiting bears with, but something spooked him. Just as I sat up, I heard this crashing through the brush at about 4 o'clock. I turned and it was a monster 8-pointer running in the opposite direction at about 40 yards (an easy distance in the range). There is a thick section of popplers on that side of the stand. He ran right through them and stood just on the other side. I couldn't see him anymore. It is now 6:45 and I can hardly seem my pin even with 10 feet of fiber optic winding on my HHA. Just as he got to where he felt he was safe (not more than 60 yards away from the stand), he started snorting. I have never heard a buck make that noise before. Not too long after he started snorting, another one about 100 down the stream from the one I saw started doing the same thing. I figured that it would be best to leave and not give myself away if I hadn't already.

Like I said earlier, I have never heard that noise before. What does it mean? Is it like sounding the alarm? Is there anything else I should know about that noise? Let me know.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Snorting Buck?

What I think your saying Is that he snorted at you like any other deer would do when they don't like something or are unsure about something. If that's the case In means the same thing as any other deer snorting at you (warning call kinda thing to the other deer).

I've always wondered though myself If a big mature buck would or does snort like a doe will? Or do they just sneak off and get, that's what I've always seen them do. I've never seen a big guy snort yet.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:37 AM

It was pretty cool. Thanks Schultzy, you're the best.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

This must of been back when bear hunting was still open yet? Did you get a bear?
Old 11-02-2008, 08:08 AM

It was the last day of bear season and no, I did not.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

I didn't either. Tough year In the area I hunt In. We got 1 bear out of 5 of us, should of had 2.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:14 AM

Well, it was my first try, but it won't be my last.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Interesting thread. I've heard many a doe snort...and most sound the same. I remember watching a 6pt who was under my stand one evening snort at my buddy as he came to meet up with me. The buck turned and ran....and snorted a really deep throaty sound...hard to explain...sounded like a small dog.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:22 AM

Both of these sounded like when you have a bad cold and you breath out your nose. It was a high pitch squeak. I was impressed that it was so loud.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

In my first year of bowhunting, i shot under a big 6 point and it took off snorting like a doe would. I have had does do it hundreds of times.

Quick Reply: Snorting Buck?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.