Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My First All Day Sit >

My First All Day Sit

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My First All Day Sit

Old 11-01-2008, 10:35 AM

Default My First All Day Sit

Was yesterday Halloween!! It was the first time I have every sat sun up to sun down and im pretty sure it wont be the last. I only saw 1 deer and that was a 135 140 in. buck cruisin on a ridge to the left of me at 10:15 A.M. he was about 60 yards away when i first saw him, I grunted and he kept on walking, I grunted again and he did the same thing. By this time he is walking out of sight when i did the snort weeze! His head came flying up looking towards me. He stared for the longest time until he new something was up and then took off back where he came from. So did I do the right thing by snort weezing at him, or should I have done something else. And also, will this buck still be in the area crusin the same rigde, or will I have to wait for a different buck?

Thanks!
Old 11-02-2008, 10:55 AM

Default RE: My First All Day Sit

ANYONE???
Old 11-02-2008, 11:00 AM

Maybe hes not the big boy of the area. ? Could be he was scared of another buck that owns thats pot
Old 11-02-2008, 11:04 AM

I agree with you! I have seen bigger! Was the snort weeze the right thing to do?
Old 11-02-2008, 11:13 AM

Well it did seem to stop him and get his attention. So far so good. But something about the situation he didnt like. It might have been a wind shift that spooked him or something else. Might have been the snort wheeze, but might not have been.. Really hard to say if it was right or wrong. On the outside it apears wrong ( he ran off) but it could have been something else that caused it..
Old 11-02-2008, 12:05 PM

Well thanks for the help paytonl. I dobelieve if i would have had a decoy out it would have been a different story. He didn't see what he was looking for.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

If the bucks are cruising, and I see one...I've had amazing success with the following tactic:

Hit a few monotone grunt calls....and then an estrous bleet (I use a can call). If he's cruising...and hears another buck with a hotdoe...he'll want to investigate.