Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My first buck(Halloween) >

My first buck(Halloween)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My first buck(Halloween)

Old 11-01-2008, 07:10 AM
Typical Buck

Default My first buck(Halloween)

Let me first start out by saying I will never forget this hunt as there was action all over the place. I was in a natural ground blind in a cedar thicket on a river. I had a spike come in and when i turned to look at him he caught my movement but after 20 mins on me being still he finally walked out of the area not being too concerned. About an hour later I hear leaves rustling. I thought it was a squirrel, but I turned around and saw 5 bucks chasing 1 doe across the river. I had a feeling they were going to come by me at a trail that was only 7 yards in front of me. So after about 10 seconds I see them run up the bank and down the trail I am standing by. The first two deer fly by me and the third one was moving so I drew my back bow and as the deer was crossing my path I let the arrow fly. The arrow knocked him to the ground and then he dove off a 20 foot cliff. At this point I realized I had not made the most optimal shot. My arrow was only halfway through him, but I knew I knew I had caught lung, but I was still upset with the shot. I then remembered Rob/Pa 's post about what to do after the shot. It was a pretty cool day out so I figured I would give him time since I did not witness a pass through nor a double lung hit. I watched him and another buck walk off into the thicket. I came back six hours later to find that there was no good blood trail. We headed to the thicket and started zig zagging through it. After an hour of searching we found the deer layin there. I had hit him in 1 lung, the liver and a little bit of the gut since he was quartering to me. I consider him a 4 point. Some of you might say he's a 3 point with a kicker, but I am extremely proud of this buck and I couldn't be any happier with my Halloween buck.

Here are the pics:

Old 11-01-2008, 07:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: My first buck(Halloween)

Those are some great pictures, Halloween will be a special day for you from now on.
Congrats , Jim
Old 11-01-2008, 07:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats on your first buck!! Thats a good first!
Old 11-01-2008, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats......love the pics also and your smart for following the after the shot advice.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:48 AM
Fork Horn

congrats!!

dp
Old 11-01-2008, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations on your deer....You will remember it forever!!!!!!! Kudo's to you for remembering the "after the shot thread".....
Old 11-01-2008, 09:23 AM
Fork Horn

congrats ! Great pictures also.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

sweet great job!
Old 11-01-2008, 09:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats on your firs buck! Halloween is great isnt it.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Alright! Trick or Treat.

Quick Reply: My first buck(Halloween)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.