Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 church and hunting >

church and hunting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

church and hunting

Old 11-04-2008, 11:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: church and hunting

ORIGINAL: minnesotadeer

I'm not looking to get into some sort of contest, but Jesus does not talk of the fire and brimstone - devil stabbing you with a pitfork while you sink into fiery quicksand - hell that churches and religious leaders. He mentions it a total of a dozen times throughout the new testament when I counted and many of those times, its a passing veiled reference to not being saved. The most graphic depiction is in Revelations and that's not coming from Jesus. The old testament never mentions hell period. My point in bringing all of this up is that Hell, as most of us know it, devil and the pitchfork, was never propogated as widely or specifically by Jesus as it has been by church leaders. He was more concerned about people following God's teachings and being saved, not sending them to Hell. And this is getting way off topic.
You really should be quiet with things you know NOTHING about.

you need to read a Bible, buddy!!!!
Old 11-04-2008, 11:32 AM

When I humbled myself and realised that God could speak to me .... that He wanted to.... He loved me enough to send Jesus down to die for me ... it took someone perfect to pay for the imperfect. .....I asked God for HIS truth ...not all the other truths I was hearing ...not mine ...but HIS .....I didn't see a vision or anything wild like that .....God just opened up my spiritual eyes ....after my conversion, I witnessed to my family ....it was a tough road, being an Italian Catholic family ...but through prayer and truth, they got saved ....one by one!!! It was AWESOME!!! You talk about a powerful God!!!! Pride abounds in Italians and Catholics ...but God is greater ..... I no longer desired everything, but God, I wanted to know him ......

Donnie...think about the girl you first fell in love with ..... you wanted to hear her speak ...you had to hear her voice .... whne she wrote you a note, you read it with exitement and wanted more of her writings ....you wanted to do things that pleased her ....to make her happy ..... kinda like what conversion is like ....
Love the girlfriend analogy, Tony. I'd love to discuss this a little more but I'm heading out to the woods for some quiet time. Thanks for responding and if I have any more questions, I'll PM you.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:06 PM
Dominant Buck

Someone please help me if I'm misunderstanding...if someone never knows of god because they were never told of him, they are not going to heaven? How is this their fault? Shouldn't it be part of god's plan for them to know him? Please don't criticize me, I'm just trying to understand.
Good luck getting that one answered. According to some....the all-knowing, gracious God they worship intentionally creates his flock in his image......knowing that some of them will never hear of his word, and that their souls are doomed. He knows all, right?

It's about the biggestcase of "class envy" I've ever seen cited.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:19 PM
Fork Horn

JESUS says, he who hears my word and believes in him who sent me has eternal life and shall not come into judgement but shall be passed from death into life...John 5:24....
Old 11-04-2008, 12:19 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Someone please help me if I'm misunderstanding...if someone never knows of god because they were never told of him, they are not going to heaven? How is this their fault? Shouldn't it be part of god's plan for them to know him? Please don't criticize me, I'm just trying to understand.
Good luck getting that one answered. According to some....the all-knowing, gracious God they worship intentionally creates his flock in his image......knowing that some of them will never hear of his word, and that their souls are doomed. He knows all, right?

Here is the point I think most lose sight. We are here for God's glory. Not the other way around. People get lost when they see God as "what can he do for me". They need to either recieve something from Him or put Him in a easy box they can understand.

My rule of thumb is, I want God to be much more than my feeble mind. If I could easily understand his will and his plan, he wouldn't be much of a God. I kinda expect more out of diety I worship.

God's will and plan is basically for the Jews. If we Christians benefit, thats great. Its a free gift, and should be selling itself. That covenant with Abraham hasn't changed. His will be done.

I sure can't say I know God's plan for everyone. I sure can't say I understand his will. I just know Paul teaches us that we are part of the body. Who are we who questions his will.

Jeff, you either believe or don't. Its that simple.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've thought of that myself, and have dwelled on it, theres nothing in the bible that says "people who never hear of Jesus goes to Hell"

Ive come to feel that the people know "something" is there. Relate to the idians if you will, though they were polytheistic they knew of a "great spirit".

Does that condem them to Hell? They gave thanks to the greatspirit, they worshiped. They KNEW something was there.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:35 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: buckmaster

I've thought of that myself, and have dwelled on it, theres nothing in the bible that says "people who never hear of Jesus goes to Hell"

Ive come to feel that the people know "something" is there. Relate to the idians if you will, though they were polytheistic they knew of a "great spirit".

Does that condem them to Hell? They gave thanks to the greatspirit, they worshiped. They KNEW something was there.
Could be, who knows. I would hate to say, I know for fact that thats the case or not. I know God has his own covenant with the Jews, and had his own with us Christians.

But the bottom line is, I don't need to know what happens to others. I just need to know what happens to me if I deny Christ.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:47 PM

So how do we know who's right? Different religions have different interpretations of the bible. Obviously, each religion feels they are correct. Shouldn't there be continuity with one god?
Old 11-04-2008, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Vito1

Shouldn't there be continuity with one god?
HA! Good luck with that concept.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:53 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Vito1

So how do we know who's right? Different religions have different interpretations of the bible. Obviously, each religion feels they are correct. Shouldn't there be continuity with one god?
Well, thats the easy part. You take the Scriptures we have, God's word, and you study them. You check out what the preacher said. You verify it. You cross it with the Greek translation. You find out what that greek word means here or there. You cross reference this with other appearances in the bible. You meditate on the word of God. You pray for God to lead you. In other words, you make up your own mind.

Problems exist when people neglect the word of God. They only believe folk tales or what they remember a preacher said.

Lately, I have been going thru a bad stretch. Just in an onery way. Ready to fight at a moments notice. Upset that God has not been talking to my heart. And this forum and this post, has reminded me, going to Church you may not hear God talking to you, wanting him to speak to your heart may not happen. You have to go back to the source. Thats where his source is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.