Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Unfortunate!!!

Old 10-31-2008, 10:41 AM
Fork Horn

Default Unfortunate!!!

Well I get a call from my Pastor today...he put a shot on a six point by his description a beautiful deer....which is awesome, him and I have been hunting for 5 years now and last year I got my first deer, which turned out to be a bruiser 14 point which scored 153''...but that is not what this story is about, he shoots a deer this morning and when he tells me my stomach lurched....he says he shot him far up and back, I would later find out he hit him near the back hip or in front of it....**Sigh** I go out on my lunch break to help track this thing which turned out to be impossible, though the arrow had a lot of blood on it, no guts!!! I would have at least liked to see guts then I would know we have a chance at finding it; there was no blood on the ground...when I say no blood I mean I couldn't find one drop!!!

The only thing I can think of and this is best case scenario that the animal is bleeding internally and will head towards water and bed down, but I have no evidence to support that, I guess just a fools hope...He's still out there searching for a trail...its been about 4 hours since the shot...on a little bit happier note, I shot a cull buck last night...a button buck with no lower jaw; well much of it was missing...bad genetics?? Birth Defect???..the farmer had tags and tagged it for me..so I'm still in the hunting scene with two tags...no pics!!! sorry!!

I'll keep ya updated on the search though and if anything turns up...I sure hope so, this would be his first archery deer and he certainly deserves it!!
Old 10-31-2008, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Unfortunate!!!

I would tell him to back out and wait on tracking this deer. Marginally hit plus pushing him if he is not dead= chnaces of recovery go way down.

Shane
Old 10-31-2008, 10:45 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Unfortunate!!!

yeah that is the exact advice I gave him...especially after not finding a solid trail...or trail at all