Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[Deleted]

Old 10-30-2008, 08:58 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-30-2008, 09:06 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Rut hunting: Field Edges or Timber ?

Great question! I also wonder what others do!

Of course you'll get those on here who tell you it depends on the phase of the rut... blah blah blah! If there were an easy answer, it would be to hunt where the most recent doe movement has been. Where do the does bed down? More often than not, the bucks know where the does spend their time and will often times search those areas for a receptive doe! I like hunting in some timber most of the time. This is primarily because the open fields here are pretty large and it's difficult to decide where to set up to get a good shot on a nice buck(with a bow, with a gun: no pro0blem). In the timber, there are more obvious trails and travel corridors where you can set up an ambush site.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like timber, on our 3000 acre farm in Illinois I still set up in the timber, just feel the deer feel more secured then out in the open, not saying the field is wrong approach, I just like the woods better
Old 10-30-2008, 09:07 AM
Dominant Buck

I've had my best success hutning a breakline (where hardwoods meet thickets).....on the downwind side of the thicket.

Whichever area I think will hold does.....I'll set up on the downwind side of that area....and wait. ANY doe travel route will be a good spot, too. Best bait a man can have right now is does. I'm really thinking the bucks' normal patterns are almost useless right now. Sucks. I finally found one I want.....and he's about to go scatter-brained.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:10 AM

I usually end up in the timber. We did have one year that we killed 3 mature bucks from the same tree in a two week period in IL that was a thin treeline with fields on both sides. No real "timber" anywhere around, just ribbons of cover along a winding small river.

I will say that if sightings drop dramatically indicating lock down, it is time to get out into the open and set up in a small ditch, fence row, draw etc.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:15 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-30-2008, 09:15 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-30-2008, 09:22 AM
Dominant Buck

DT...did you happen to notice and record the wind direction? That might tell you when to get back to that spot.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:29 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I've had my best success hutning a breakline (where hardwoods meet thickets).....on the downwind side of the thicket.
I have been doing this for the last couple years and number of mature buck sightings has increased 100%.I cant believe somtimes how many deer you can see some days scurting the edge of the thickets. Now Im all excited to get out and hunt this weekend
Old 10-30-2008, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Drop, I'm doin well, seen some nice bucks this bow season here in NJ, no shots, I will not return to my area until December 1st for the opener of NJ's smokepole season, as I'm leaving for Illinois tomorrow night and will return just before Thanksgiving, and yes that is the property I told you before.

I had no idea you lost and didn't find a deer

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.