Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Still have a fully spotted fawn...Anybody else? >

Still have a fully spotted fawn...Anybody else?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Still have a fully spotted fawn...Anybody else?

Old 10-30-2008, 08:08 AM
Typical Buck

Default Still have a fully spotted fawn...Anybody else?

First let me say that our rut is a little later than a lot of you guys in that our rut is late November/early December.

But even with that, it is very unusual to still see a a fawn with any remaining spots by the end of October. However, I saw a fawn on Tuesday that was as brown as could be and as spotted as they come, not even in a transitition coat yet.

I am sure his mother was a late bred fawn from last year, and I have seen a few spots in years past in early October, but I don't recall one this late before.

Anyone else still seeing the ocassional spot?
Old 10-30-2008, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Still have a fully spotted fawn...Anybody else?

not to my knowledge. but you never know!
Old 10-30-2008, 08:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

None here either.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:39 AM
Spike

Jack,
Saw one here in SC last weekend. Bout 6:30pm a big nanny comes out into my food plot less than 20 yards away. I drew on her and was about tolet flywhen I heard something walking in the leaves behind me. It was a teeny fawn (I'd say less than25 pounds) with highly visible spots. He proceeded to come out and nurse for a few minutes while momma was getting a bite of clover. First time I'd seen that while hunting. Needless to say I let down and watched them until they left about 6:50pm. I've seen some spotted fawns up into lateSeptember but never one this late. The doe was pretty good sized for SC - I'd say about 130 lbs live and appeared to be in good shape.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:50 AM

I have seen two does with spotted fawns, the first fawn had spots that were almost faded, could only see them with binoculars. The second two fawns were as red as could be and had bright white spots, although they were eating from my "Biologic Full Draw" patch. This is common here in South Alabama. Our rut is even later than yours in TX. But, I think our buck/doe ratios are really skewed even though we have a liberal doe limit - 2 a day from bow opener till end of season (Oct 15 - Jan 31). My freezer stays full and apparently we still have too many does! Either that or our bucks need to work faster, LOL.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Last time I was on stand was a couple weeks ago and we still had several that were "bright" spotted and young to boot....As a matter of fact every doe thatI saw while hunting that week had spotted fawns with them. Needless to say, I didn't come home with any doe's....I know they breed fairly late there for what ever reason....I have another place I hunt that is in the eastern part of the state and I know the next couple weeks will be the prime time there but this place in thehill country section of the stateit's more like Thanksgiving is the prime time????? Not sure why but that's the way it has been since I have been hunting there!!!
Old 10-30-2008, 11:07 AM

TexasBowHunter, the reason could be your buck/doe ratio. More does than the bucks can possibly breed for months. Doe will go into heat over and over again until bred. Late breeding leads to late born fawns and that's we are seeing.So fill the freezer and tell your buddies to take some does!
Old 10-30-2008, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just this morning a fawn pasted me with spots running along both sides of it's spine. That was the first time I'd seen spots this late in our hunting season.