Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Time in a bottle? >

Time in a bottle?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Time in a bottle?

Old 10-30-2008, 07:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Time in a bottle?

Lets say you had all the time in the world to hunt,no job to worry about,house work caught up,nothing to take up your tree time.

Would your standards change? Would your success rate go way up?
Would your strategies change?
Or would you hunt as you do now and let the chips fallwhere they may?

Here in PA with one buck tag my standards would not change ,I go into the season with a goal in mind, that being said I would certainly hunt more ,maybe try some stalking on the ground.
I know I'd have some great pictures to share.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:31 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Time in a bottle?

Would hunt more, but more strategically. I only have 60ac so Id HAVE to be careful. Id probably hunt twice a week, then daily during November.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

I can just about guarantee my success rate would go up on P&Y quality bucks. More time In the woods equals more experience, as they say experience Is your best teacher.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would like to think my standards would go up. I am assuming if I had enough money that I did not have to worry about work any longer, then I had enough to own my own land. If I could hunt 4-6 days a week, wow that would be amazing. I don't know if my success rate would go up or not, I mean I am hunting more and have raised my standards. Hard to say there.It is fun to sit back a day dream a bit.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

And this is what it looks like in my woods. If the Navy didn't need some drive parts for their stupid submarines I would be out there right now.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

That's one hell of a picture Jim!! Gotta love the snow, sucks you can't go![:@]
Old 10-30-2008, 07:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

This is out my window this morning. Big bucks hate snow.

I hate my job.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:01 AM
Typical Buck

If I could hunt anytime and as often as I wanted within a 95 day season, yes my standards would change and I would take even more pictures than I do already.

I average 3-4 days per week huntig already, but more evenings than mornings, and not always the days that the conditions are most favorable.

I was thinking last night that my season is basically already 1/3 over and it seems like I just got started. I absolutely love being out every chance I get and have never burned out, yet.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:31 AM
Typical Buck

The main thing that would change for me, given the above circumstances, would be that I would probably stay in the stand longer. I made a post the other day stating how often I am in the stand and I think about what else I "have to get done at home." This is especially bad when I've not been seeing any deer moving. For some reason it makes me think what else I could be doing with my time. And it's not about not enjoying it either, believe me!!

I think I probably have "too many irons in the fire" as my mom likes to say.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:58 AM
Dominant Buck

I'm living that right now. I can tell you this.....it's allowing me to straighten out the learning curve on the new land I acquired. It's also "different". I'm hunting almost exclusively for bucks.....which is new, for me. My sightings are WAyyy down (which is to be expected), but my buck sightings are up. I wouldn't change it for anything. I have the full monty, now....on the new land. I'm able to hunt them at their bedding area(s)......travel routes....feeding areas (both ag fields and mast crops).....and all areas in between......ALL on the land I now have access to.

I hunt any time I want to right now....for this and the next two weeks. Shoud be fun.

I'll say if I'd chosen to keep hunting the way I used to.....I'd have a LOT more venison in the freezers. I think I've turned a corner, though....and my days of hunting "deer" are all but a thing of the past. It's still fun to go to spots that I can target does.....but I'll do it sporadically and tactically in the future.

I'd like to start all over....right now....and put to use what I've learned up to this point, this year. I think my results would be different. It's taken me a LOT (45) of sits to learn what I know, now.....and I'm only getting started.

Biggest thing I've learned is.....I might not have the doe issue here I thought I did. I think I just had a large concentration in select spots. Even my sightings in those spots has gone down. Maybe due to my efforts, last year? Maybe it was never as bad as I thought?

I find myself ......on Oct. 30th.....looking for does in select spots, now....after trying to find ONLY bucks, earlier. I wish I'd paid more attention to the does than I did, earlier. Lesson learned. Balance.

Quick Reply: Time in a bottle?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.