Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Deer and Cigarette Smoke >

Deer and Cigarette Smoke

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer and Cigarette Smoke

Old 10-30-2008, 11:33 AM

Default RE: Deer and Cigarette Smoke

Yea they smell it. But, if its ok wind, it just eliminates a direction i have to look. I try to limit it though.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:37 AM
Banned

QUIT. Make a list of the positive things smokin does for ya. Short list, huh?
Old 10-30-2008, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont really need to worry about it because no way in hell am I going to smoke at all. My dad is a smoker and he wants to see me get a deer. I have been begging him and begging him to try and quit but its just not possible. I just dont want him to scare deer away.
Before we go out I will have to snatch them from his bag and throw them away.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was sitting in a ground blind this past weekend with deer around me(6 feet to 25 yards) and I was having a smoke just enjoying the sites and sounds of a spring fed creek...deer were nervous but coulda been the smell of blood from the buck we arrowed a few hours ealier in the same spot.The sound of me squeezing a water bottle bothered them more.I think it depends on where and the pressure deer have been under.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:40 PM
Fork Horn

People always tell me that deer lobe tobacco. I know a guy that smokes on stand and consistently shoots 140's. One guy said he had a deer (a little doe or nubby) come from downwind when he was smoking a stogie (he's a meat hunter though). I know lots of dippers that say deer don't care.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:47 PM
Fork Horn

ive been huntin with my aunt for the past couple years because she only had buck tags and i would shoot bow so i could take some does. and when ever we wouldnt see something i would tell her to light up and every time the deer came- good ol rally smoke
Old 10-30-2008, 11:19 PM
Fork Horn

I personally switch over to dip in the stand... which I doubt is much better because im spitting out of my stand onto the ground, but my deer did come in just fine... So I guess he was jonesing for some copenhagen... I think that they can smell it, and I would not recomend it. But in my short time I have also heard a fe dirty tricks, one of them being, "Do not be afraid to leave your scent around before the season" which I took to mean, If deer become acclamated to human odor in the woods and are condictioned to not feel that the hunter is a threat, they will not freak out about humon odor and its part of their every day life.... But, once you kill one... they are going to assocate it with death.

I would say if you are going to smoke on the stand, make sure to get a smoke tower and some tinks smokin sticks, that way its not just tobacco smoke.

also... remember what Smoky used to say... "only you can start forest fires." oh wait..." prevent".... Just be careful of your hot ash and dry leaves.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Deer do get use to certain things as part of the teritory and accept it.My brother drives his truck with a Cummins rattling through the pasture and deer walk out thinking he's feeding cows...no problem...you drive a gas burner through and the race is on!
Old 10-31-2008, 06:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

my buddies step dad just killed a 150 somethin incher....

.......hes a chain smoker...said he just put one out within minutes of the buck coming in!

my guess is different deer associate different scents with danger....and i guess some dont take smoke smell as being danger. though i would think they would take it as being foreign and would be alarmed to it....id be willing to bet that smokers get busted alot and dont even realize it....ontop of the scent, they also move while smoking...i learned yesterday that just because you cant see them doesnt mean they cant see you [:@]
Old 10-31-2008, 06:57 AM
Fork Horn

when i smoked i killed a deer every year.I stoped smoking 10 years ago and only killed 3 in the 10 years.So maybe it pays to smoke.been hunting 34 years

Quick Reply: Deer and Cigarette Smoke

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.