Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Being a mobile hunter.... >

Being a mobile hunter....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Being a mobile hunter....

Old 10-29-2008, 05:34 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Being a mobile hunter....

It has its' benefits. It also has its' pitfalls.

I've been trying to get on a buck (or a few of them) for a while, now....and I seem to get closer and closer to where they are bedding. PITFALL. You wait 'til it's almost dark (no shooting light)....then you have to make a call. Do I rush it out of here....hoping I'm still in front of him? Or....Do I wait and see if he passes .....and not take the chance of spooking him?

What do you guys do? It also applies in reverse for AM hunts. If you're trying to hug a bedding area.....do you go in there earlier? What if you get pinned down? Gonna sit there all day?

Tonight I rushed out....and hoped he went the other way....or I beat him out of there. Last night....long wait....waiting for him to clear the area.

All in all, though....I wouldn't trade it for sitting in one spot for anything. I think my days of passive bowhunting are behind me. I know they are. Even LOSING at this game is more fun than that.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Being a mobile hunter....

Im the exact same way, i love being able to move around, gives me more options.

When I hunt the mornings I usually go to a perminant stand, but in the afternoon im always on the move. Tonight, for example, there way about 5 minutes of shooting light left, but no sign of deer in the area, so I just got out of there while I could. I might not get a shot, but at the same time I wont spook him either. Im this way because I get a lot of time to hunt, if my time were limited, id stick it out till dark:30.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

Even LOSING at this game is more fun than that.
ORIGINAL: GMMAT

It has its' benefits. It also has its' pitfalls.

I've been trying to get on a buck (or a few of them) for a while, now....and I seem to get closer and closer to where they are bedding. PITFALL. You wait 'til it's almost dark (no shooting light)....then you have to make a call. Do I rush it out of here....hoping I'm still in front of him? Or....Do I wait and see if he passes .....and not take the chance of spooking him?

What do you guys do? It also applies in reverse for AM hunts. If you're trying to hug a bedding area.....do you go in there earlier? What if you get pinned down? Gonna sit there all day?

Tonight I rushed out....and hoped he went the other way....or I beat him out of there. Last night....long wait....waiting for him to clear the area.

All in all, though....I wouldn't trade it for sitting in one spot for anything. I think my days of passive bowhunting are behind me. I know they are. Even LOSING at this game is more fun than that.
Tough question. I usually play it by ear. I really don't believe there is a definitive answer unless you have seen the buck(s) and know where he is probably is when you decide to come down. I think its almost impossible to not spook a targeted animal at some point in time. Take this morning for example.....no moon and it was dark as could be. Where I needed to be cannot be reached without a flashlight unless its just breaking light, so purposely I came in a little late simply because I did not want to use a flashlight.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:50 PM
Dominant Buck

Coug....

Believe me....We had similar experiences this morning....except I was going in @ 5:30. I made it ONE ste into the woodlot. He let me know he was home...and I left.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

He let me know he was home...and I left.
He blowed?
Old 10-29-2008, 06:05 PM
Dominant Buck

As I started up the hill, he blew (or....a deer blew where I thought I'd find him this morning). NO WAY he saw me from where he was and where I was. He only heard me.

I turned around and walked 1/2 mi, back to the truck......came home and walked another .7 mi and hunted there.....lol. Lots of walking in the cold morning.....but it beat bumping him. He never left the ridge. I heard him blow from there again as I got up the road. he's OK.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator

Hope you are luckier than I was a few years ago. I sighted a huge buck twice but could not pinpoint much anything really usefull until one day I found brand new scrapes and knew I put a stand up right there and then. Mind you it was not a bedding area or didn't seem to be any of the resident's deer bedding area. I was there bright and early the next morning, even had my inlaw let me off in the middle of a highway for keeping the wind in my face. I'll be damned if I was only 10 yards from the newly hung stand and that buck was about 50 yards away from the new scrape[:@]. Last I saw of him
Old 10-29-2008, 06:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't leave until it's good and dark...During bow season, I may even leave the climber and sneak out without a light...

I have also been pinned down and waited in the tree for up to 2 hours...

It's a chess match and shouldn't be taken tooseriously, it's fun...Of course, I was one of those guys that laughed out loud on the football field when I knocked the snot out somebody...

One other point...Nobody can tell what a rutting buck is going to do, or where he will show up...There are areas that he will frequent, or cruise through...But he doesn't know when he leaves his bed in the evening where he will end up...(Remember how it was when you where hitting bars at a younger age???)...

Thank the Lord these days are here...The next 3-4 weeks are prime time...
Old 10-29-2008, 07:22 PM
Dominant Buck

Yeah....I told Duke I wish today was 10/10 instead of 10/29. I finally found something....and now the rut will throw them off their normal patterns.

Not a bad thing.....and something to bank for next year.....if he makes it.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you spook him what will happin?

Quick Reply: Being a mobile hunter....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.