Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I'll admit it

Old 10-29-2008, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I'll admit it

I've never owned a climber. I used one once about 15 years ago. It was a tree lounger and I wasn't impressed. I've always hunted off the ground more than in a tree, but I'm getting to the point where I want to be able to be mobile.....and in a tree. I know nothing about climbers what so ever. I've seen a few that looked like a PITA, too heavy or too loud. Suggestions for a guy that is new to the climber market?
Old 10-29-2008, 02:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I'll admit it

light wieght for long walks in. heavier and more comfortable for longer sits. I have a Gorilla I'm pretty happy with. I also like the looks of the Ol Man stands.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can't speak for or against other brands, but Summit makes a great climber that's lightweight, rock-steady on the tree AND comfortable. I lovemy Viper SS, and almost bought a Titan so that I'd have more room, but it's quite a bit bigger and weighs more so Ibought anotherViper SS. I'm sure there are other good ones out there. Lone Wolf, for instance....
Old 10-29-2008, 03:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think Lone Wolf makes agoodstand.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:27 PM
Fork Horn

I use hang ons, ladder and ground blind. or just climb a tree. for some reason, they don't grow straight with no branches where i hunt.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:14 PM
Typical Buck

Equalizer. Everything else is in second place!
Old 10-29-2008, 04:16 PM
Banned

Lone Wolf hand climber. I have used one a friend has and I like it. I sold my Summit viper..didn't care for it .Lone Wolf is lighter and quieter. I actually prefer my Lone Wolf hangon and sticks though. What you will find, if your timbers are like mine, is that with a climber you spend more time hunting for a tree that your climber will work in, instaed of hunting where you actually want to. Tree has to be fairly straight, basically limbless for the 1st 15-20 ft up. What tree matches that requirement except a telephone pole. I was always settling for a place that would accept my climber instead of hunting where I wanted to. Lone Wolf hang on and LW sticks solved that. I hunt dang near anywhere I want to. Sure, a little heavier 2 carry out, but well worth it my friend.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:44 PM

I am new to bow hunting but I have used a few climbers before the season started to get familiar with them. I ended up using my father-in-laws API Grand Slam because he doesn't bow hunt anymore. I never really felt comfortable in it. SoI done some research andwent andgot a TreeWalker ProMag LT. It weighs 16lb and is the easiest stand to climb with, quiet andit isvery stable. Thesethings bite on to the tree better than any climber I have used.Check out their website www.treewalkertreestands.com Plus they are made in the good ol' USA.

A lot of guys over at the AT forum have a lot of good things to say about them. I have read a lot of posts on them and I haven't read a single bad thing about them.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I couldnt live without my climber , they are a PITA when you 1st start using them though, but mobility and saftey of them, makes the little extra effort worth it.

I had and API for years and loved it but I bought a summit bushmaster for 150$ at cabelas this summer and love it even more. It about 16 lbs, about 30 with my heavy jacket , boot blankets and lunch strapped to it.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:43 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm tickled with my LW sit and climb......now. It took a pretty good while to learn the ins and outs of it.....but once you do....it's tough to beat.

I still think I wanna give that equalizer a look for a backup though. It looks quite nice.

Summit's hard to beat for comfort. I've got one(Viper) but it's not as quiet OR mobile as the LW. Check the dimensions and specs of the stands you look at really good. Some weigh as much as 30#'s!