Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do you shoot big does or little does for meat? >

Do you shoot big does or little does for meat?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you shoot big does or little does for meat?

Old 10-29-2008, 03:39 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Do you shoot big does or little does for meat?

ORIGINAL: gmil6184

I usually shoot younger does. They eat a little better then a big old doe. Also, as someone mentioned, an older doe is proven. She has raised fawns, avoided predators, and made it through winters already and will be better suited to teach that to her fawns...or at least that the theory. Usually when it comes to does I take the first good shot that I get to put one in the freezer.
The only thing I can say about that is, a doe runs her fawns off before they really get time to learn. A fawn will learn the food routs, thats about it. That is why a fawn will always walk out first from stageing areas. A deer learns from the school of hard knocks.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:39 PM
Fork Horn

If I am going to take a doe for eating, I shoot the one that is giving me the best shot opportunity providing it is full grown.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:15 AM
Kid
Typical Buck

Isay, Kill em' all and let God sort em' out!
Old 10-30-2008, 10:27 AM

Is it a myth that older does generally produce more doe fawnsthan bucks and younger does generally produce more buck fawnsthan does?
Old 10-30-2008, 10:40 AM
Typical Buck

Ideally....deer are SUPPOSED to have a 50/50 split and produce twins. Doesnt always happen, but thats the way it is supposed to happen....buck and doe fawn each time she births
Old 10-30-2008, 10:44 AM
Spike

I look for a "dry doe" for the freezer. It really makes no difference as long as you take a doe or two out of the heard. It is the best thing we can do. Not only does it help fill your freezer but it helps the deer heard general health.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Wolfpack

Is it a myth that older does generally produce more doe fawnsthan bucks and younger does generally produce more buck fawnsthan does?
All depends on how the winter was in what I have learned. If the deer didn't get enough nutrients over the winter, they will have less fawns. I sure a small amount has to do with Genetics, but I firmly believe it is about nutrition.

I usually try to shoot a doe that is dry or at least a decent size one. When the last day of the hunt arrives though and I don't have any meet in the freezer, anything without spots will do.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:00 AM
Typical Buck

Who says it "supposed to happen" that way?

ORIGINAL: TreednNC

Ideally....deer are SUPPOSED to have a 50/50 split and produce twins. Doesnt always happen, but thats the way it is supposed to happen....buck and doe fawn each time she births
Old 10-30-2008, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ishoot both big , small it doesn't matter I don't think they taste that much different maybe a little more tender
Old 10-30-2008, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

The past 10yrs I have shot alot of does, especially when we were doing some major herd thinning on our property from 1998-2002. Back when we started, I shot EVERY doe I could, didn't discriminate. The latter end of those 10yrs (past 3-4 yrs)....I try to pick out a doe that is a yearling, with no fawns preferrably if I can. Just my preference, but doesn't always work that way. I usually don't shoot fawns now....gone soft I guess...LOL

Quick Reply: Do you shoot big does or little does for meat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.