Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What a morning!

Old 10-29-2008, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default What a morning!

Skyler and I headed to the woods this morning with high hopes. It was a nice, cold, late October morning and the wind was going to be perfect for one of my favorite rut stands. We got in plenty early and got everything set up. Thats when i heard some rustling in the leaves, but i realized that it wasnt coming from the ground, it was coming from above me! I looked up to find several turkeys roosted about 10 yards above us! After it started to get light they picked us out and flew down out of the roost. For the next 30 minutes we heard them being as vocal as could be trying to get the group back togehter.

Not too long after that skyler tapped me on the shoulder to let me know there was a little spike walking down in the bottoms behind us. We watched him feed for a while then all of a sudden i caught movement in front of us about 40 yards away. I saw a small buck walking through the thicket so i gave him a few soft grunts. He looks, then bolts. I didnt know what happened...then all of a sudden i see a big rack coming through the brush. At first i thought it was a huge deer, but realized after he showed him self a little more that he wasn't quite what i was hoping. He came in cautiously to investigate the grunts and stood broadside at 32 yards for 5 minutes before letting out a few soft grunts and walking off.

Not 5 minutes later, Skyler spots another nice buck in the bottom. It was a nice 2 year old 8 pointer. I let out a few soft grunts and he was on his way up the hill to investigate. After not finding any deer he slowly moved off.

Then around 10:00 we were thinking about gettin down when eagle eyes Skyler spots another nice 8 coming through the thicket. He had his head down to the ground smelling where we had some does come through earlier and wouldnt pay any attention to our grunts. Im pretty sure it is a buck that i have pictures of:

After we got down we checked the camera and got some more pictures of this nice buck that i got on camera last week in the daylight. I originally thought he was a shooter, but i think he needs another year now after getting a better look at him. He is very decieveing because from one side he looks a lot bigger than from the other! No daylight pictures of him though...hes definitely hitting this scrape on a regular basis.

What a good morning in the woods! The bucks are really on their feet and are very responsive to calling right now! I can't wait to get out this afternoon with the decoy!
Old 10-29-2008, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What a morning!

Nice read! Good luck.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:56 AM
Fork Horn

Hey man thats great that you are seeing a lot, I'm not seeing anything lately. Also what state do you hunt out of, and when your calling what calls are you using, and whats your technique when calling cause I am inexperienced when it comes to calling and rattling so I could use some pointers if you got any for me. But anyways good luck next time you go out.
Nontypical Buck

Man, you see more bucks in one morning than i see typically in a week.
Typical Buck

your morning hunt had more buck sightings than i have had in the last 3 years. Look forward to seeing the next picture with you behind another monster.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: joemr1288

Hey man thats great that you are seeing a lot, I'm not seeing anything lately. Also what state do you hunt out of, and when your calling what calls are you using, and whats your technique when calling cause I am inexperienced when it comes to calling and rattling so I could use some pointers if you got any for me. But anyways good luck next time you go out.
I'm hunting in Missouri.

As far as calling goes i am just doing some rattling with shed antlers and grunting with a true talker grunt tube. The deer are very vocal right now. We have been hearing a lot of deer grunting and sparing the past week or so...

Shawn and I will be going back to that stand Friday morning i believe...hopefully they are on their feet like they were this morning! We just need one a little bigger so Shawn can send an arrow through him!
Old 10-29-2008, 11:05 AM
Fork Horn

one more question for you, i was looking at picking up a primos grunt tube that had a snort/wheeze call on it. Wasn't sure if the snort/wheeze calls did much to bring the bucks in. This being my first year hunting, I am trying to gain as much knowledge as possible. thanks
Old 10-29-2008, 11:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Great story Mike, you getting out this evening?
Old 10-29-2008, 11:06 AM
Typical Buck

Nice encounters! Keep up the good work.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like a great time out!

Quick Reply: What a morning!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.