Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 BBD in Nebraska (Story and Pictures) >

BBD in Nebraska (Story and Pictures)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

BBD in Nebraska (Story and Pictures)

Old 10-27-2008, 09:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default BBD in Nebraska (Story and Pictures)

DAY 1

Shawn and I arrived in Nebraska about 5:30a.m. and met up with our guide Shawn Reiff. We grabbed some coffee at the gas station and headed to the farm we were going to be hunting. We were somewhat familiar with the farm since we had been there this past spring hunting turkeys. Shawn walked us to our stand and we got settled in for the first morning. We ended up seeing a small buck running does all over the place which got us excited. We knew that the pre-rut was definitely kicking!

Mid-day we went to hang a couple of stands (one for the evening and one for the next morning). While hanging one stand we ended up seeing a couple does getting chased around by a nice buck that only had one side. They were definately on their feet!

That evening we rattled in a nice 7 pointer. He came in to investigate and then proceded to head down the hill and lock up with another deer that we never could see. With day 1 in the books, things were looking promising with a lot of sign and pre-rutting activity!

DAY 2

All i can say is WIND! We did see a few deer but the 60mph winds were keeping deer movement to a minimum. In the morning we saw a coyote that almost met his match as well as a couple does and a little buck. That evening we amazingly didnt blow out of the tree and rattled in a little 4 point. Walking out we did end up seeting two good bucks off the road.

DAY 3

Shawn and I were definately excited to hunt today since the strong winds had passed and had broght a huge cold front with them. We settled into a stand in an area where we had found a lot of sign an waited to first light to do a rattling sequence. Not 2 minutes after banging the horns together i looked up and spotted a buck walking through the timber. I gave him a few soft grunts and the nice young 7 pointer came right in to investigate. After walking around and not finding the source of the rattling he moved off.

About 45 minutes later i decided to rattle again. This time, a little spike buck appeared in the bottoms looking for the source of the noise. With a few grunts he was on his way and ended up right underneath our tree. I was watching Shawn video the small buck when i heard a deer coming from behind us. I turned around to see what looked like a big bodied deer coming through the ceaders. Sure enough it was a shooter! I whisped "Shawn, Shawn, shooter!" careful not to spook the spike below us. Shawn whipped the camera around as cautiously as possible just as a came to full draw. I stopped the buck at 18 yards right before he got down wind of us, held right behind his shoulder and released. The shot was perfect. He ran about 15 yards, stopped and turned around to see what had just happened. His legs started getting shakey and he took off down the hill crashing to his death at the bottom, a meer 60 yards away from the tree.

Shawn and I had brought it down to the wire and scored on our last day, but also the best day weather wise. It was a great day to be in the woods!

Old 10-27-2008, 10:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: BBD in Nebraska (Story and Pictures)

Nice Michael! Another fine trophy!
Old 10-27-2008, 10:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Gosh darn Mike save some big deer for the rest of us You are banned from Medina county Ohio
Old 10-27-2008, 10:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice buck brother!!!!!!
Old 10-27-2008, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

Wow, nice buck! Thanks for sharing the story and the pics. You guys had a heck of a time!
Old 10-27-2008, 10:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats man!!! thats awesome!!
Old 10-27-2008, 10:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey that is awesome, congrats - you are having a great year!

And I LOVE the crab claws....too cool!
Old 10-27-2008, 11:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice pictures and great story bud. Congrats on an awesome buck, way to get the job done

Shane
Old 10-28-2008, 12:12 AM
Banned

very nice - very
Old 10-28-2008, 02:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

WTG!!!!! Love the crab claws on that rack.Very cool, congrats

Quick Reply: BBD in Nebraska (Story and Pictures)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.