Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Long shots out west >

Long shots out west

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Long shots out west

Old 03-26-2003, 03:16 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Default Long shots out west

I see posts on these boards all the time that refer to the longer shots out west. Was wondering from the rest of you westerners if you shoot long distances. I have lived out here for six years, have taken several turkeys, whitetail, mule deer, and antelope with a bow and my longest shot to date was my antelope this year at 32 yards. I don' t condsider that a long shot. There are a lot of wide open spaces out here but using terrain and some skill you can most always get within 30 yards. The exception would be decoying antelope, you have no control over how close they come, but in my experience if they respond they have always come to around 20 yards. Guys from the east throw your hats in the ring if you have been out here hunting. Was just wondering. I won' t debate the fact that there is more opportunity to shoot long out here but most bowhunters I know don' t do it.
Old 03-26-2003, 04:04 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Long shots out west

I think everyone would prefer the Slam Dunk shot... but it doesn' t always happen. I think because of the expanseness and open terrain and the ground these animals cover, most Westerners prepare for the longer shots. I also believe that given time you' ll have that opportunity to take a 50 yard shot. Depending on the part of the country you' re in what your options are. You may not feel comfortable with it and probably won' t take it. Randy Ulmer has no problems with it. To him it' s just a matter of ranging at 50 or 30 or whatever the animal is. Yes more can happen between 30 and 50, but if it' s guarantees everyone is looking for... shoot them in pens. I think anyone planning on going West should be prepared for a little longer shot. EverythingI' ve read, everyone I' ve talked to except you Oh Great Hunter has longer shots out west. There are exceptions and if you' re willing to wait I would say everyone can shoot under 30... but not everyone will or needs to wait for that shot. Heck, here in the EAST we have people say 30 yards is to far.
Old 03-26-2003, 04:35 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Wow, struck a chord there. The intent was not to beat my own drum, sorry if it sounded that way. Wasn' t looking for an East vs. West debate either. Was just looking for others experiences out here and relaying mine.
Old 03-26-2003, 06:33 PM
Dominant Buck

No cord struck.... just being a smart A$$. It was there and I had to do it.[&:] I only used East/West shot recommendations because it always seems to come up. AND.... I was reinforcing that what seems long for some is normal for others. There is always going to be some that say take the shot and others that will say NO WAY UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. It will never be different.
Old 03-26-2003, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

30-35 YRDS, but I seriously don' t think I would have a problem in stretching it to 40 yds under the right circumstances.
Old 03-26-2003, 09:11 PM
Fork Horn

I live here in California and i definitly am setup for long range shots, infact i have up to a 80yard pin and would definatley use it if i had the shot. That might seem a little long but i do pratice from all distances all the time probabley 30 shots from each distance. every other day
Old 03-27-2003, 09:51 AM
Typical Buck

I' ve hunted coues deer and javilina, down in
southern Arizona, the past six years. It' s not
near as difficult to get within 30 yards of javilina,
though I did take a huge boar a couple years
ago at 50 yards while set up on a waterhole.
Coues deer are a different story, I feel like
I' ve won the lottery when I get inside 50 yards
on a coues buck. From my experience, they
are more difficult to hunt than mature bucks
here in Iowa. Not only does the terrain make
it difficult, but they are wired all the time
with all the mountain lions. This past January
I shot under a buck at 45 yards.....I cried
for a week after[][:' (]. Needless to say,
I put a lot of shooting time in at 40, 50, and
60 yards and will only take the shot if I feel
everything is perfect.
Old 03-28-2003, 06:47 AM

No different here from east. I have shot all of my bow elk at less than 40 yards and only one over 30. I can hit 50 all day and my buddy has killed 3 elk at that range. Lot of the long range shot stuff here would be for rifle and with the canyons and space you can pick your distance. I just prefer to wait and do the creepy crawley. Good hunting.
Old 03-28-2003, 08:49 AM

I lived in the San Diego area for many years and shot 3-Ds there and Escondido and the desert just east of San Diego. All of the 3-D shoots had targets at 60 yards and sometimes at 70 yards. The Rube Powell memorial had targets at 80 yards. We could not get away with that back here because the hunters just can' t seem to shoot a 3-D for fun. I help set up the course for our club 3-D and if we go over 35 yards we catch h---. The biggest complaint is " I would never take that shot hunting" . I have an absolute passion for bow hunting and a passion for 3-D shoots, I think the two go together but I believe you have to have fun with both.
Btw, there are those that say a deer is less likely to jump the string at 40+ yards than at 30- yards.
Old 03-28-2003, 01:28 PM
Typical Buck

I' m in Arlington Washington (state that is) and I hunt principally in the Eastern part of the state. I prefer 30 yards maximim on deer but have never shot any that far. I think 26 yards was my farthest. If I draw a bull permit I wiold take a 40 yard shot because I am comfortable at that distance. But the animals I have passed on [and there have been many] were from 15 to 25 yards.[8D]

Quick Reply: Long shots out west

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.