Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How much should I budget to get started. >

How much should I budget to get started.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How much should I budget to get started.

Old 10-27-2008, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default How much should I budget to get started.

How much would I need to figure spending to get the necessary entry level equipmment for deer? Say a compound bow, the arrows, and the basic accessories.

Incidentally, I'm left handed and I'm assuming that might affect the price of the bow.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:13 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: How much should I budget to get started.

Im lefthanded and it doesnt really effect the cost, it just makes things harder to find sometimes.

as far as cost: wowthats tuff. It all depends on the stuff you want to buy. Your entry level might be different then other peoples entry level. You can get some good bow packages around $500. It depends on what you want. My set up cost well over a $1200 and that might realistic for some guys entry level but not others.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

How much will the wife let you spend?
Old 10-27-2008, 02:18 PM

used bow/arrows 100
Broad heads 15
Camo 50

looks like you could spend $165 bucks and be hunting.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont think LH bows cost more but you should defiantly go to proshop and get fitted properly.

A decent bow, sight, rest,quiver etc -550$ min.
12 arrows and 6 B.heads -120$
A decent climber treestand and GOOD fall res. system. or a good blind, 200-300$
Camo suit and good boots -200$
good realease -40$

approx. 1100$ for the basics. A bargain compared to a Harley or golf membership and much more fun IMO.

Old 10-27-2008, 02:28 PM
Fork Horn

Wow, a budget. I should have done that. Really don't know that it's possible. If you do a budget, make sure you include everything and I mean everything that you will need. Honestly, if I would have done a budget before I started bowhunting, I might have changed my mind about it. Man, am I glad I didn't do that budget.

I would say that $1000.00 will get you started. That is with a modest bow and all the accessories.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Go to your local sporting goods store and purchase a basic setup that you feel comfortable with and can afford. I started with everything used and was unhappy until I got an experienced person to help me setup something that would work for me. Last year I purchased a new bow completely setup at Scheels w/arrows and a new quick release for $450.00. This setup is great for me and I have no intentions of trading it out. I too am left handed and it makes it harder to find, but in your large sporting goods stores, you shouldn't have a problem. Good luck and welcome!
Old 10-27-2008, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOL

It's actually a little more unusual than that. I'm a priest and Benedictine monk. Hunting and fishing are two of my worldly diversions. Being a monk, I have to pay some attention to poverty, so I have to limit what I spend.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:10 PM

ORIGINAL: Father Forkhorn

LOL

It's actually a little more unusual than that. I'm a priest and Benedictine monk. Hunting and fishing are two of my worldly diversions. Being a monk, I have to pay some attention to poverty, so I have to limit what I spend.
That being said you should look into going traditional. You've got plenty of time to get proficient before next season and a used recurve or longbow will set you back less since you don't need all the whiz-bang gizmos that go on it.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got started with an entry level package from BP for right about $400. After getting into it and finding other avenues to buy bows and access I "upgraded" for less than what I originally spent. If you have the time to do the research & shop around it can be done for a modest amount.

Quick Reply: How much should I budget to get started.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.