Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Stands for a Traditional bow hunter >

Stands for a Traditional bow hunter

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Stands for a Traditional bow hunter

Old 10-27-2008, 10:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Stands for a Traditional bow hunter

I've never bought a stand, everything I've used Is home made. The stands my dad and I make are hang on metal stand's. I know I'll never find a store bought stand that Is as solid as these stands we make. Here's my pros and cons with the stands that I make and use.

Cons....

1. To heavy.
2. To noisy.
3. A pain In the ass to put up!
4. Ping In the cold (15 degree's and colder)

Pros....

1. Unbelievably solid!
2. They can go up In a sharp leaning tree and still be level.
3. Not bulky.

As you can see the cons out do the pros. The seats I use are also home made and are not part of the stand which Is not a problem. More movement and freedom. What I'd like to know Is what stand would best suit me as a Traditional bow hunter? Remember everyone, Traditional bows are much longer then your compounds, they can be a big pain In the ass when In a tree. I'm curious to see what Is out there that may work. 7 or 8 years ago I checked out a few of these store bought stands and I hated everyone I checked out. They were nothing near as sturdy as my home made hang ons are when standing In a tree. I don't remember what the brands were and I could care less. Someone give me an Idea what might work with a Traditional bow hunter.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Stands for a Traditional bow hunter

Steve, my favorite stand is a double wide I purchased at Menards several years ago. I know the stores around here still carry them, but cannot remember the manufacturer of the stand. I paid $79.00 for it and it is sturdy and roomy. I'd say if you have a Menards near you, go by and give them a look over.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks AF.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:23 AM
Typical Buck

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20712-cat20055&id=0057238418592a&navCount=1& podId=0057238&parentId=cat20055&masterpath id=&navAction=push&catalogCode=8IS&rid =&parentType=index&indexId=cat20055&ha sJS=true

I guess if you're wanting a hang-on, the one I bought this past spring might work for ya. It's got a HUGE platform, footrest, and a flip up seat so it's really roomy. It's got arm rests as well but I think they were optional! I just wanted them for a little extra security. This stand was identical to a Gorilla stand that was in the Gander Mountain at the time (same size platform, same size seat, flip up seats, indentical in every way) except that it was 40 bucks cheaper.

They have it on Cabela's if you wanna check it out, but before you read the reviews let me tell ya something. A while back there was like 100 reviews on this stand, almost all positive. It was like a 4 or 5 star rated stand. Now that they've updated their site or something there is only 2 reviews on it. I'm not sure what happened.

I bought it for $99.99 and now it's on sale for $89.99. So for half the price of the lone-wolf stands, you can basically get twice the amount of tree stand lol.

And the picture doesn't do it justice- it doesn't look like much of a platform or anything, but when you're in it, it's a Cadillac man!
Old 10-27-2008, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Steve, a friend of mine that shoots traditional turned me onto these several years ago and I now have several of their stands....Check em out at: www.gametamers.com
Old 10-27-2008, 10:41 AM
Dominant Buck

I'm gonna give a suggestion on a stand I never thought I would. But....the caveat is traditional bowhunting. I like the LW alpha lock on for trad bowhunting.....because there's nothing in the way of the limbs.

If (and maybe "when") I go to traditional as a more full time affair.....I'll probably buy another one of these stands. For compound hunting? Nope. But if I'm only going to 12-15'.....I wouldn't have an issue in the world with this stand OR the sticks.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Have you had your longbow In It Jeff? Is that a lock on or hang on? I'm not to up to date with the stands there making today. Got a link?
Old 10-27-2008, 11:04 AM
Dominant Buck

It's a lock on that, acompanied by the sticks, can be used for a same day set. Just type Lone Wolf Treestands into your web browser.....and you'll get plenty of hits. Look for the alpha hang on and the sticks. You'll need 4 sticks, probably....but you could get by with 3 at that height.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

It is a lock on Schultzy, and I too would recommend an open lock on and climbing sticks. Gorilla and Ol'man make a fantastic Loc On with the mesh seat that is oh so comfortable (haven't found any better) with a large platform. I don't pack climbing sticks in and out so I'd have to opt for the lightest that's for sure.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:11 AM
Dominant Buck

Schultzy....

Summit offers an open shot model that doesn't have a rail.....and it's about 14-15#'s. I'd also give that one a look. I've kinda got the best of all worlds with my sit and climb.....because I can move the rail out of the way when i want to. Only drag on it is it's weight (20#'s or so).

Quick Reply: Stands for a Traditional bow hunter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.