Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 opinions on motion cameras for game >

opinions on motion cameras for game

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

opinions on motion cameras for game

Old 03-26-2003, 06:21 AM
Typical Buck

Default opinions on motion cameras for game

I' ve been thinking and looking online for motion sensing cameras. I' ve found that there is a GREAT diversity in what they sell and what they do. They go from motion/heat sensing cameras that will take digital pictures, all the way down to something that sets up a trip wire and when pulled it drops a pin on the camera and presses button... that last one made me laugh! Sounds like something I' d try to rig

So, have you used one? Which one? What' d you think?

Heard rumors about good ones? Which ones?

AND THE QUESTION OF QUESTIONS: Where can I get a good price?!
Old 03-26-2003, 06:58 AM

Default RE: opinions on motion cameras for game

I have never used one so I can' t comment on different models or what ever. There are directions online for building your own and guys have pretty good results with those for around 100 bucks apiece from what I remember. http://ca.geocities.com/petergward/home.htm

I know a lot of people use them I' m not saying they are wrong for it. I just wonder where you draw the line. You could set up several cameras and set up a monitor and hunt from your lazy boy if you wanted.

Again, I' m not saying they shouldn' t be used but we do need to define some rules for using them, IMO.

-Chief

Old 03-26-2003, 06:59 AM

I have never used one so I can' t comment on different models or what ever. There are directions online for building your own and guys have pretty good results with those for around 100 bucks apiece from what I remember. http://ca.geocities.com/petergward/home.htm

I know a lot of people use them I' m not saying they are wrong for it. I just wonder where you draw the line. You could set up several cameras and set up a monitor and hunt from your lazy boy if you wanted.

Again, I' m not saying they shouldn' t be used but we do need to define some rules for using them, IMO.

-Chief

Old 03-26-2003, 07:27 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-26-2003, 08:58 AM

I' ve got a Moultrie Game Cam II. Some people seem to have problems with it, but mine has been really good, getting good shots of deer both day and night.
Old 03-26-2003, 10:21 AM

I have owned only one game camera. I bought it last year. It was a Moultrie Game Cam II. I was INCREDIBLY impressed with the unit.....at first that is.

I was using the best film I could find, Kodak Max Gold 800 speed. I don' t know if that is the reason why, but, I was getting AMAZING results. Perfectly clear pictures, ect..

I did have a few small problems with the camera. It was kind of a pain to set-up. The allignment light wasn' t the best system in the world to help you get the picture position set-up. And, the whole unit was big and bulky. Very easy to pick out in the woods. Another thing that I didn' t like was that you couldn' t see the picture count unless you opened up the unit. Also, you couldn' t turn the camera off unless you opened the unit. This meant that you had to be VERY careful when opening the unit to check pictures because you could easily take pictures of your leg or arm, ect.. Other than that, I loved the thing. And, I really couldn' t complain too much because the price.

Well, it was fine for awhile, then, something happened. I am not sure if it was from having a big black bear hit the unit or just time, but, the camera started sticking. It started out that it wouldn' t take pictures consistently. Then, it started getting to the point where if a deer walked in front of it, it would take a picture, but, it wouldn' t stop, and, it would keep taking picture after picture, even after the deer had left.

Finally, it got to the point where it was taking pictures as the sun rose. As soon as the sun broke into the skyline, the camera started taking picture after picture.

So, I got rid of it.

I am going to be getting a new camera this spring, and, I am going with a DeerCam Non-Typical DC-100.

I did a comparrison of about 20 different cameras, and, I looked at all the features that I wanted. The DC-100 came out on top by a LANDSLIDE. To be honest, the more expensive units, such as the BuckShot 35, came out kinda low.

Check out the DeerCam DC-100. It is endorsed by QDMA, and, I have heard nothing but good about them.
Old 03-26-2003, 12:30 PM

i have the DC100. i bought it for x-mas put it out in the woods ran 2 rols of film through it and put it up. it took very good pictures. and i would recomend it. it works off motion and heat. the first role of film had a lot of bogus picts. but i figured it was due to me learning the sys. so the second role i did not check it but 2 times and i had 2 bogus picts. i am also contributing it to being new to the sys and the way i had it set up. it was also single didget temps and i think it picked up the heat and movement of my hand here again i think it was because of the way i had it set up. i would be willing to e-mail you some of the picts if you would like. i have squirl,deer, fox,coyote, and one pict of deer and a coon.
Old 03-26-2003, 04:16 PM

I have 2 of the Photohunters, they cost about $250 each. I have used them for elk, deer, antelope and bear. All with great success and no problems.
Old 03-27-2003, 01:19 AM

I have 2 Moultrie Game Cam II' s. No problems yet. I used camo duct tape to disguise the units for field use. Well worth the $98.42 I paid at Wal-Mart.
Old 03-27-2003, 08:08 AM
Typical Buck

I' d love to see some of the pics jimmya! [email protected]

So what are the benefits besides the obvious: Cool pictures, and seeing if a deer frequents the spot you have the camera hung.

What else does this help you learn?

Quick Reply: opinions on motion cameras for game

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.