Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[Deleted]

Old 10-24-2008, 08:37 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-24-2008, 08:41 AM

Default RE: Do bucks live with doe during the rut ?

TYPICALLY, A buck will chase until he's blue in the face until he comes across a doe that is receptive to breeding. When he does, he will stay with that doe and breed multiple times for 24 hours or so until she goes out of heat and then he is off again. Once this phase gets going it is typically much harder to kill a buck because he isnt moving a whole lot.

During the rut, I concentrate on two areas, funnels and food sources that I know the does are using. The bucks know they are using them too and will not be far behind.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:52 AM
Dominant Buck

During the rut I concentrate on a few areas.....and ALL of them are doe bedding areas.

I don't think bucks EVER bed with does (as a general rule).....or I don't think they do, here. It's not in their nature (reclusive) to be seen with a lot of other deer. Being locked down with a hot doe is not my idea of "bedding" with her.

**Edit: ONLY scenario I can think of to contradict what I said above is in the northern states where winter yarding occurs.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I read an artical a few years back call "hunting the dead zone". The classified the dead zone has that time between chasing and actual breeding. We have seen, but might not of known it. It is when the bucks are chasing like crazy, you are seeing deer everyone, all times of the day, and then nothing. The artical said that a buck will bed with a doe for 24 hours before she is ready to breed, he will not leave her side. I know there has been a few times I have kicked up a doe that had a good buck with her. So to anwser your question, I do believe that buck with bed with a doe, but only right before she is ready. I do concentrate on doe bedding areas during the chasing stage, but only because I know the bucks will come looking, not because they are bedding there.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

During the rut I concentrate on a few areas.....and ALL of them are doe bedding areas.

I don't think bucks EVER bed with does (as a general rule).....or I don't think they do, here. It's not in their nature (reclusive) to be seen with a lot of other deer. Being locked down with a hot doe is not my idea of "bedding" with her.

**Edit: ONLY scenario I can think of to contradict what I said above is in the northern states where winter yarding occurs.
I concur with this as well. THey may stay with a doe while she is receptive, but they are not going to move in with a doe group during the rut and live with them. If anything, they are LESS likely to be bedding with does during the rut since they are up and looking for does so much more.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:13 AM
Dominant Buck

They also aren't fond of getting their asses kicked every time THE buck of the woods comes by. Downwind side of doe bedding areas....during the seeking/chasing stage.....and you've got a good chance. During lockdown......all bets are off. I wouldn't know where to begin to look for a buck, then. I'm also "guessing" a hot doe wouldn't necessarily breed in her normal bedding area (exact area). I would imagine the buck would pin her down in the best thicket available (closest one....lol), and try to hold her there until she isn't hot anymore.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:18 AM
Typical Buck

IMO rubs and scrapes are good to pay attention to during the pre-rut (Oct).

When the bucks start to chase (ussually sometime around the 1st of Nov in my area)...I could care less about where any rubs and scrapes are.

During this time Iwill hunt travel routes between bedding areas the first part of the day and closer to feeding areas in the evening.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Do bucks start to bed with the doe, or closer during the breeding season ?
When there receptive and ready you bet they do. They will not leave there side one bit what so ever! Whether she beds with 10 other deer or just by herself he'll be right there bedding along with her and trying his best to keep her up so he can have some fun.

Do you abandoned rub and scrape lines coming from bedding areas during the rut ?
When the rut Is In full swing I don't hunt scrapes very much but In saying that It don't hurt to be close to one being the big guys I believe don't do nearly the chasing that the younger bucks do so I could see a big mature buck keeping a close eye on them from time to time.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:44 AM
Typical Buck

Gonna agree with Shultzy. If there is a receptive doe, he will stick to her side and if she beds, he'll lay right down near to her. I've bumpeddoes w/ a buckout of their beds before.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:48 AM
Dominant Buck

IMO there's a HUGE difference in being locked down with a hot doe and bedding with "does", in general.

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.