Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Roll the dice?

Old 10-23-2008, 06:34 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Roll the dice?

OK....we've got a cold front coming in tomorrow....and forecast is for rain starting late tomorrow afternoon. Temp's also going to be dropping in the afternoon.

I WANT to go into the best spot I've got tomorrow.....(haven't been in there yet).....and I've got a forecast E wind for the afternoon.

Here's the topo....and the spot I wanna go into is marked with a red dot. The yellow line is the trail I saw the bucks come down the other night. "IF" I go in.....the plan is to go in about 2PM.....set the tree umbrella up.....and wait 'em out. If they get up to move in front of the weather....I wanna be there.

They could be bedding anywhere in the green (clearcut area)....but the concentration of trees in the two spots are most likely the bedding areas. Even if they're not using the one to the SW.....I think they're probably using it to stage and rub/scrape.

I know this wind isn't "ideal".....but with the front coming in.....it ain't bad, either. Any scent I lay down going in will be washed out as I exit (by the rain)....no later than a few hours after I get out (in my mind, anyway).

Old 10-23-2008, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Roll the dice?

Looks like youve got a solid plan...Good Luck bud.

And just to add... If I would've had time to hang that stand today..... Theres a excellent possibily that I would have doe #3 thread up right now...[8D]Instead .... she stood between me and my vehicle[&:](insert snort and busting brush noises)
Old 10-23-2008, 07:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

That weather pattern must be the same all up and down the East. Thats what we got too. I'm thinking of hitting a prime spot myself. But it will work with the wind. I only have to work ( you remember work? ) 1/2 a day tomorrow and I'm off all next week. I'll be a hunting fool!
Old 10-23-2008, 07:07 PM
Fork Horn

Thats some very thoughtful planning there GMMAT haha! Good luck hope ya see something.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

doesn't look like that big a gamble, I think you'll be fine.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:08 PM
Dominant Buck

Don't worry Bob....I'm employed.

Good part is I don't start until 11/18. I'll hunt every day I can until then. ML starts here on the 15th......and I have to share this spot with two smoke polers. I've got a window.

Only gamble is my scent going all the way through the woodlot. Otherwise.....it'll get washed out with the rain.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey Congrats didn't know that..Shoot me an email sometime and give me the details.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:24 PM

Id say your odds of killing are 100x better in that spot you have marked.

I must have influence, even your title is a figure of speech now.

Good luck in the morning, hope you kill the big one.

On a side note, have you hunted much with your umbrella, and if so, do you like it? Ive always been skeptic of em but they seem like they could be a lifesaver.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Busted!!! I am thinking those bucks are probably bedded in that little woodlot to your South. If they take a notion to go to the North via your West, with an East wind, it ain't gonna be pretty. jmho

LT
Old 10-24-2008, 08:48 AM
Dominant Buck

LT the thermals up there are amazing. I haven't had a wind yet that didn't take my scent either UP or out and over the trees (S wind going down the ridge). I'll take my puffer in with me and check it as I go in slowly. Of course....you could be right about them bedding there....but if I see my scent going too close to the ground...I'll never get close enough for it to matter. I'll back out and go somewhere else. I'll be entering up that gulch from the N.....SLOWLY.

TEMbry...the umbrella is a lifesaver....or...a HUNTsaver. It sorta feels like cheating when you're bone dry and it's raining out. I honestly wouldn't go out in the rain if I didn't have it.

Quick Reply: Roll the dice?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.