Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Let's hear how you stay warm on stand, >

Let's hear how you stay warm on stand,

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Let's hear how you stay warm on stand,

Old 10-23-2008, 11:29 AM
Fork Horn

Default Let's hear how you stay warm on stand,

Tell us about whichclothing/ materialsyou use for your base layer and all other layers. I'll tell you one thing...No more rubber boots. They just aren't warm enough (Not even La Crosse 1600). I just bought Cabelas Inferno 2000 boots. Gonna try them out this weekend. I definitely think they will do the job!
Old 10-23-2008, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Let's hear how you stay warm on stand,

I have ScentLok's Timber Fleece 360 and that stuff is amazing. I wore it for the first this year this past weekend and only for the morning hunts. It was about 41 degrees when we left the truck. I did not weara base layer, other than a tee shirt and I was very comfortable. Last year (first year I owned it) during the Indiana shot gun season, I wore it teamed up with underamror as a base layer and stayed very comfortable (lows were sub 20 degrees, highs were low 30 degrees). As far as rubber boots go, I have never had a problem with them either, I hunt in Mucks and wear a single pair of socks.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:35 AM
Fork Horn

I hunt in Texas, so there is not much to staying warm. Every once in a while, it may be around the freezing mark towards the end of the season. One thing that I have learned it to cut a peice of carpet and put it under your feet in the stand. It make a big difference having your feet on it rather than the cold metal. Nice and quiet too.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wear as little as possible going out to stand. Take your time and go in slowly so as not to build up a sweat.
Keep adding the layers as you begin to cool down. Keep your head and neck area very warm. This will keep the rest of your body warm.
Polypro against your skin, Wool as the insulating layer, Goretex as the outer layer
Old 10-23-2008, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wear as little as possible going out to stand. Take your time and go in slowly so as not to build up a sweat.
Keep adding the layers as you begin to cool down. Keep your head and neck area very warm. This will keep the rest of your body warm.
Do not wear cotton at all
All fantastic advice, especially the bolded sentences. It took me over 10-12 years to finally figure those excellent points out....I know, I am a slow learner.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:59 AM
Typical Buck

My best piece of equipment is my fleece had warmer tube. It's just a tube that straps around your waste. I pack it up with about four hand warmers, i don't even need gloves.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have a hand muff. I wear mine on just about every hunt, keeps my hands warm as heck, plus i dont have to wear big bulky gloves!

Now I just gotta find out how to keep my size 14's warm....[:@]
Old 10-23-2008, 12:06 PM
Fork Horn

i layer and dress when i get on stand so not to sweat. i wear about 3 layers depending on temps. i also read a good idea this year-- putting on one of those therma care heating patches on your kidney area. this is supposed to act as a heater and keep you warm. i am going to try this. as far as rubber boots i agree. no way to keep your feet from sweating and getting cold. but there are some tricks such as wearing a wicking layer of socks and then a wool layer that seems to help quite a bit.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thermacare heat wraps are a life saver.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:14 PM
Fork Horn

!!!!SHIVER!!!!

Quick Reply: Let's hear how you stay warm on stand,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.