Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How long should a deer hang? >

How long should a deer hang?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How long should a deer hang?

Old 10-22-2008, 08:59 AM

Default How long should a deer hang?

Once you shoot a deer and fielddress it, how long do you usually let it hang before butchering it?
Old 10-22-2008, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How long should a deer hang?

Depends on the weather. I've read that if it's lower that 40 degrees out you can leave it to hang and age for up to 5 days. I don't do that myself, but I guess some people do. If you've got a shaded shed, barn, or outbuilding, and the temp was right I'd probably let it hang for 3 days.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:28 AM
Typical Buck

Depends solely on temperature for me personally if 40 and under I'll let hang 3-4 days. I know some old timers that have a walk in cooler and after they are skinned out they will let hang up to 2 weeks . Some of your choicest cuts of beef are aged a lot longer than 2 weeks
Old 10-22-2008, 10:05 AM

I don't let them hang anymore because I was told it doesn't help to 'age' deer meat. It is different from beef somehow, but I can't remember the exact reason. I skin while its still warm too because the hide comes off slicker than snot when you do. I've never noticed any difference in taste.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

As long as it stays cold theres no limit. Once the temps drop below 40 you should be ok. Ive had deer hang for 2 months before butchering. As long as they stay cold and or froze the meat will be good.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:26 AM
Banned

My butcher says that a deer doesn't benefit from aging, as there is no fat in the meat; their fat is stored in their skin, so I do mine the same day. Much easier when a deer is warm instead of cold.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

As long as it stays cold theres no limit. Once the temps drop below 40 you should be ok. Ive had deer hang for 2 months before butchering. As long as they stay cold and or froze the meat will be good.
2 months?
Old 10-22-2008, 11:08 AM

There is a difference. I let mine go for at least 3 days, up to 7 days. I will age mine in a cooler with ice if I have to. There is no way I would touch a deer that aged for 2 months though.

Aging is simply the natural bacteria breaking down the structure of the meat.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I usually do mine right away unless it is below 40 degrees anything above and it is rotting not aging. Deer do not benefit from aging do to the fat content. Mine are done with in a couple days if it is able to be held at the cold temp
Old 10-22-2008, 11:17 AM

I always butcher asap. Hanging them for awhile doesn't really do anything IMO other than allow it to be exposed to air born contaminants or insects. The thought of something laying eggs in my deer is enough to give me the willies! [:'(]

However, I always let it "age"in the refrigerator for a few days after taking it from the freezer. You can let it sit in there quite awhile if need be. I've gone over a week on a couple of occasions with no issues. I set the piece on a plate with some paper towels. Once the towel has soaked up a good amount of blood, the meat is usually ready to go.

Quick Reply: How long should a deer hang?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.