Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My Wyoming trip (with pics) >

My Wyoming trip (with pics)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My Wyoming trip (with pics)

Old 10-21-2008, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default My Wyoming trip (with pics)

As some of you know, I spent the end of last week and the weekend around Gillette, Wyoming. I was there for one of my good friend's wedding and happened to find a little time to get out and do a little bowhunting. It is rifle season right now, which makes things a little more difficult. Anyway, there were no left over buck mule deer tags so I purchased a doe/fawn and set out.

After an extremely long and steep day of hunting, we had seen 18 different bucks and no does. The recent snow had pushed the does/fawn down to the bottoms and the bucks were still up high. With about an hour of daylight left, we spot 6 does that are about 3/4 of a mile away, and across the canyon. We only had slightly over an hour of daylight left as I began my stalk. I hiked all the way down one ridge staying on the back side so as not to be seen, crossed the creek and went back up the back side of the ridge where we had seen the deer. Walking quietly up some ridiculously steep stuff, I made it almost to the peak when I saw 3 does that were about 100 yards up the ridge. This was somewhat disheartening because I would have to drop back down go up the creek bottom and climb back up to the top of the ridge without being seen. While I'm comtemplating what to do, I see ears come up over the top of the ridge to the left. I had an arrow nocked and was kneeling in the sage brush... my range finder was in my pocket. I began counting the yardages... 20, 30, 40, 50... 54 was my final estimate. The deer looked back at another that was coming over the top and I came to full draw. Shooting uphill, I put my 50 pin on her heart and let the Allegiance sing. My GrizzTrick created an instantly visible hole as she bounded off. I gave it a couple minutes and went to check the arrow, even though I had seen it hit... it was perfect. The blood trail was incredible and as I peaked the ridge I could see her kicking about 70 yards down the hill. She's not the biggest doe, but it was a fun hunt.

Here are a few of the bucks we glassed

Sunday I had some issues with my flights returning home and it caused me to stay an extra day. So at 4:30pm on Sunday we went and I bought a doe/fawn antelope tag. I put a great stalk on two goats that were beddded down in the sage brush, I ranged them at 50 yards and contemplated the shot but heavy crosswind made the shot unethical in my book. So I belly crawled another 13 yards, came to my knees and drew back. After what seemed like forever the antelope stood up and I let the arrow go. The GrizzTrick again made quick work of the animal and he fell over in just a couple steps. By 5:45 the antelope was cleaned and headed back to the house. I saw about 200 antelope in my 1 hour hunt and it brought back so many memories of hunting antelope with my dad and friends.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:33 PM

Default RE: My Wyoming trip (with pics)

Congrats Again man, check your pms later on.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:33 PM
Dominant Buck

Congrats, Dub. We'll be out there, (Gillette), next year.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Looks like you made some great memories, congrats!
Old 10-21-2008, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats Dubbs. Great Mulie lady!
Old 10-21-2008, 08:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Dub my friend, this is just awesome What a great couple of short notice hunts, and the pictures are killer nice work bud!! great shooting
Old 10-21-2008, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats!!!! Sounds like a little trip to heaven!!!
Old 10-21-2008, 08:52 PM

Sounds like you're getting this stalking thing down.Nice shots and nice pics! Congrats teammate!
Old 10-21-2008, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:29 PM
Fork Horn

Looks like you hadan awesometime! Can't wait till next fall, as I'll be headed out by Cody WY to meet up with aold friend and do someantelope hunting!!! BTW, nice shot from 54yds!!!

Quick Reply: My Wyoming trip (with pics)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.